Heartburn with chemo?

Options
janh_in_ontario
janh_in_ontario Member Posts: 151 Member
edited March 2022 in Colorectal Cancer #1

I have finished 4 rounds of FOLFOX, mostly without too much trauma. After round 4 I have been experiencing severe heartburn. Never had it before and just wondering if that is normal. And if yes, why not until round 4?

thanks

jan

Comments

• SandiaBuddy
    SandiaBuddy Member Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options

It got me bad. A teaspoon of baking soda in a glass of water helped me through.

• abita
    abita Member Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options

Anything tomato or spicy the first week did it to me. My oncologist told me which over the counter med to take. Ask yours. It helped so much.

• rblakeward
    rblakeward Member Posts: 7 Member
    Options

I lived on Tums - it was pretty constant heartburn for me during treatment

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Options

I had it bad, as well. Just another damn side effect.

You will figure out what works best for your body; be it a change in some foods or OTC meds. I went for the food change, as I was sick of pills and infusions and the like.

Looking back, I actually think it didn't last throughout my chemo, so fingers crossed that it is a passing thing

Tru

• StonedCamaro
    StonedCamaro Member Posts: 38 Member
    Options

Happened to me also. Tums yes, sucking on them weirdly seemed to be faster at getting relief. Also, took Zantac before certain meals. Cooked tomato foods and fiber really beat me up. It tapered off in-between chemo sessions.

• janh_in_ontario
    janh_in_ontario Member Posts: 151 Member
    Options

Thanks - seemed to last about a week after round 4. We’ll see what round 5 brings!