Have a question for folks who have had a full neph

Tobi
Tobi Member Posts: 61 Member
edited March 2022 in Kidney Cancer #1

My kidney came out aug 2021 so 6ish most ago. This week I had routine blood works and stuff from my GP for med refills....yanno check up things. My urine came back with creatinine (or however its spelled) levels of 9.5 and showing micro levels of protein...it was like 146 . Is that something I should be worried about or is that sort of thing normal after a neph for a while.

Comments

• bramrebello
    bramrebello Member Posts: 25 Member
    edited March 2022 #2

Those are critical lower levels of creatinine and protein, maybe you you have been on a full diet of all types of meats and processed food. You urgently consult you GP and may have to go on a strict vegan diet because there is a danger of going into CKD if you don’t take precautions immediately.

• Tobi

I am confused....it says normal is 10 and above for the creatinine? So he said it was only slightly low and the protein was between 30 and 299 mcg which is high but considered micro levels of protein, and my GFR is normal. I'll just call the urologist Monday I guess and see what he says. The GP was just gonna wait and re run the tests in a month to see if it's the same or back to normal.

• bramrebello
    bramrebello Member Posts: 25 Member
    edited March 2022 #4

I may not be an authority on that but normal GFR range is always above 60 and preferably above 80+, either your results are wrong or you have to repeat the test again. Anyway you have to visit your Uro-Onco right away.

• AliceB1950
    AliceB1950 Member Posts: 237 Member

There seems to be confusion here on urine levels vs. blood levels.

• Tobi

Yeah even got confused and I have been looking at the tests lol. I think it's possible the protein was caused by some antibiotics I have been taking. I was just wondering what sort of numbers ppl had after neph. I am somewhat worried the high protein low carb diet i have been on has caused it too.

• AliceB1950
    AliceB1950 Member Posts: 237 Member

I was told that the numbers would bounce all over the place for about the first year as your system adjusts to running on one kidney. My nephrologist told me to not look at what normal numbers are and get freaked out if ours are different, because they are totally different situations. It's like a person who lost an eye won't have 20/20 vision, but they'll adapt and still have good vision. That's what we have to aim for, one good functioning kidney.

• Tobi

Thanks this does put my mind at ease about it. I am somewhat worried it's the low carb high protien diet I've been doing trying to lose weight and get my a1c lower. Messed up part is I've lost 15lbs and my aic went fro. 6.2 to 5.9 and then this lol.....I was like really?? Regardless of the cause or what ends up happening I will find a way around it a d will continue forward. I didn't get lucky finding my cancer early to just give up because of this nonsense. Thank you so much for your input!! It does help.

• Scottie22
    Scottie22 Member Posts: 99 Member

As far as diet is concerned my doctor/surgeon told me 'everything in moderation' and I have stuck to that (for the most part. Kidney function is really good in the 70's and I am 9 years post neph.