Cold Capping

Options
lkitty
lkitty Member Posts: 36 Member

I have had 2 chemo treatments (Taxol-Carboplatin) and it feels I have had 3 treatments😄. I experienced some hair loss and now have balding spots on the top of my head. I am so glad I bought some nice wigs in advance. I know I will lose more hair and cannot wait until the treatments are over! Just wondering how others are doing with the cold capping process.

Comments

• thatblondegirl
    thatblondegirl Member Posts: 383 Member
    Options

Hi, lkitty

I’m sorry you’re having to go through chemo. It’s a tough road, but you can get through it!

Almost none of our friends here have done cold capping, so that’s why you won’t get many replies. I’ve written about it here a little, but not much! I never had bald spots, but just overall thinning, especially around the edges…like a one-inch halo around my entire hairline.

I still lost 50-60% of my hair (for lots of people it works better than that!), but I accomplished two goals: 1) I was never bald, and 2) when my hair came back, it’s MY hair, not some forever-damaged-chemo-version of my hair. I thought it was quite torturous…not painful…but agonizing because I experienced extreme nausea, which got worse over the course of 6 infusions. Asked if I would do it again, “Yes. But I would be very unhappy about it!”

This week is the one year anniversary of my last chemo. My hair is a million different lengths and growing like crazy! I’ve always had tons of hair that grows 1/2+ a month. I’m not highlighting it, so it’s NOT my normal color, but I’m not styling it either….it’s a mess! I can’t stand wigs, so I’ve become a hat girl! It will be another year before my hair is back to its normal length, a couple of inches below my shoulders. I’m not happy about that, but I’m alive, and “it is what it is!”

I wish you the best of luck with it! And prayers for swift recovery!

Hugs, Alicia

• lkitty
    Options

Good Morning Alicia,

Thank you so much for your support . It really means a lot. I will have my 3rd treatment next week. I am not a fan of wearing wigs but I must say the last one I purchased is beautiful and lightweight. I work mostly from home and only wear a wig when I am on video for telehealth sessions and when I go out in public. I miss going to the salon because it's so relaxing and try to make my fine, thin hair look good. Anyway, I hope you continue to do well and I wish you the very best.

Lisa

• Ribbons
    Ribbons Member Posts: 150 Member
    Options

I did not do cold capping, just wanted to comment on hair loss. I hated being bald!! I hated my wig! But it was winter and lots of people here wear beanies and stocking caps so I made it through. 6 weeks after the last chemo my hair was growing back. It came in super curly! Like a tight perm! It was actually cute for a while but the longer it got the less curl there was and now it’s totally back to normal.

• lkitty
    Options

I will be so happy to finish chemo !! I am so glad you are doing well. Have a nice weekend.

Lisa

• Lyn70
    Lyn70 Member Posts: 214 Member
    edited March 2022 #6
    Options

Ikitty,

I am glad you are past two treatments and doing good. That is about the time I lost most of my hair. I prepared by getting a buzz at Great Clips they did it as a courtesy because the founder was a cancer survivor. I read about that service in my infusion care package which also included a catalog from tlc. Great catalog with hats of all types, scarfs, turbans, wigs etc. I wore hats with a hairpiece called a halo. 😇 Just enough to peak out around a hat. I just found hats cooler.

• thatblondegirl
    Options

Good evening, friends!

I’m thinking about you this week ikitty, and send you my prayers and well wishes. It’s tough, tough, tough. All of it. But you can get through it!

❤️❤️❤️, A

• lkitty
    Options

Thank you so much for your support! I am getting ready for my third treatment today. For some reason I do not even want to say the word chemo😄

• thatblondegirl
    Options

You’re welcome! I referred to them as infusions! After today? Three down, three to go! 1/2 way there!

⭕️⭕️, A

• lkitty
    Options

I am so thankful that my husband is always by my side. It makes the long treatment days so much easier. Have a great day !

• lkitty
    Options

Good Morning Lyn70

Thanks for responding and I hope you are doing well. Tomorrow I have my 4th treatment and I am so happy that I will be finished in May.

Lisa

• thatblondegirl
    Options

Keep your chin up, Lisa! The fatigue from chemo is usually cumulative…as are the corresponding bloodwork numbers, so try not to be too alarmed by it.

I always announced the progress! You are: Three down & three to go!

This might make you smile….My 5th chemo infusion was scheduled for the week of the big Deep Freeze & snow in Houston, February 2021. They will not do infusions without bloodwork that’s more than a few days old! My Quest (a 30 minute drive) never, never answers a phone and they certainly weren’t that week! My husband and I traveled to that location 3 times….across ice and snow covered bridges…and twice drove another 15 minutes to try to get my bloodwork so I could get my infusion!! We made 4 trips! Everyone was closed! Even the hospital lab was closed until Thursday! We were determined!! I did not want to push this whole nightmare one week further into my future!! My fabulous chemo nurse, who normally did not go into the office on Fridays, had told me if I got my bloodwork she’d come in on Friday. I got my bloodwork Thursday afternoon!

I arrived at the promised hour and the chemo room was deserted. I said, “Where is everyone? Don’t you have any other customers today??” She smiled her knowing & loving smile and said, ”No. No, you were the only one who got her bloodwork!” Ha! It’s no wonder I had a reputation over there for being strong like a bull!

Keep charging forward! 😎, Alicia

• lkitty
    Options

Good Morning Alicia,

Can you believe my treatment has been delayed? I found out late yesterday afternoon that my treatment has been delayed by one week due to low blood counts . I do feel tired and know this is for the best. I love your story because my husband and I would do the same thing! Thanks again for your support and I will keep you updated.

Lisa

• thatblondegirl
    Options

You are most welcome! Oh, I’m so sorry, Lisa! My bloodwork held up enough that I didn’t have any delays, but that’s certainly not true for everyone. I don’t know which of your counts was the lowest…or maybe there were several too low, but I know a lot of our friends here received Neulasta to improve WBC’s.

Glad you liked my story! I’m glad your husband can do the same! I’ve been the caregiver & I’ve been the patient. It’s hard to say which is worse…I think, the caregiver. The feeling of helplessness is excruciating. Before our 4th trip down the interstate that week, I explained our options..my husband works at home, so it’s not like he’s retired and go anywhere at any moment…”We can go today or wait ‘til tomorrow morning, but we’ll have to go at the crack of dawn and then pray it actually happens.” He didn’t hesitate, “When do you want to leave?” My hero!!

Just try not to worry too much about the delay. Your body needs a rest. I was worried as to delay and how it might effect the final outcome of my treatment. The answer was that delays are very normal and it won’t effect your outcome.

⭕️⭕️⭕️, A

• SpringerSpanielMom
    SpringerSpanielMom Member Posts: 137 Member
    edited April 2022 #16
    Options

I was very close to having one delayed. The chemo nurse said I had to go home, but then we texted my gyn onc and she said I could get it.