Sex after radiation

Options
mimi98
mimi98 Member Posts: 5 Member

For those that have had external beam radiation and brachytherapy how long afterwards did it take before you were able to have sex? I'm concerned about vaginal stenosis. After those radiation treatments is a relatively normal sex life possible? I'm currently going through radiation treatments now and I'm concerned about this part of my quality of life afterwards. Is anyone willing to share their experiences?

Comments

• Harmanygroves
    Harmanygroves Member Posts: 486 Member
    Options

I did not feel well enough or interested for ....let's see....it's been....since my last radiation treatment July 1. Sorry for the bad news from me on this front, but not into it! As I just today told my oncologist, if I don't want it, and if it doesn't feel good, why would I bother?

• SpringerSpanielMom
    SpringerSpanielMom Member Posts: 137 Member
    Options

I guess doing the dilation 3X a week helps prevent the stenosis (she said, not very enthusiastically). I had brachytherapy.

• cmb
    cmb Member Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options

Here's a link that has a number of responses regarding sex after treatment.

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,369 Member
    edited March 2022 #5
    Options

SSM, I can tell you the dilation really does help with the stenosis. I remember my experience, starting with a M dilator and then moving to a L and how that was. I am not going to lie, it was difficult at times, but I am glad I kept on top of it. There was a woman on here who said 'do it everyday', and I did, and it makes a difference. I told a friend of mine who had cervical cancer and brachy those helpful words and she told me how her doctor could tell during her follow up appointments.

All these years later I find I can report that I can get away with doing it less and less and it is not an issue, but I had to stay on top of it in the beginning. I am single so I am not sure that I can really comment on the sex part, but I am hopeful...someday....

• Fridays Child
    Fridays Child Member Posts: 277 Member
    Options

They never suggested that I use a dilator. Things returned to pretty much normal for us following the brachytherapy. When I had pelvic radiation with my recurrence, it was mostly directed at my hip so they didn't mention doing anything different.

• SpringerSpanielMom
    SpringerSpanielMom Member Posts: 137 Member
    Options

I got mixed messages too. My rad onc and her nurse said something like, "You know, lots of people aren't dilating after just brachytherapy", after they told me I should do it and gave me massively conflicting instructions. Bottom line (no pun intended, hahaha) I'm doing it. I hate it, but I'm hoping as it gets more routine--MWF?--I'll care less. It's 13 hours out my year. :-( What knocked me over among other things was the recommendation of dilating each time before sex. Um, no. Esp. as sex can replace dilation. These oncs and staff need to read their own directions and put themselves in our stirrups.

• woodstock99
    woodstock99 Member Posts: 202 Member
    Options

Cannot speak to having sex (yet) but I had brachy and also did 12 sessions of pelvic floor PT (which helped immensely in many ways) and have been using the silicone dilators for 6 months. I started with size 1 and am up to size 6. I started every day and now doing 2-3 times a week for 20 minutes a pop. It definitely helped me tolerate the pelvic exam much better. I had had issues before all this post-menopause. I do it first thing in the morning while I meditate. Good luck!