New to this world of wonders

a_beckford
a_beckford Member Posts: 2 Member
edited March 2022 in Lung Cancer #1

Hello Everyone,

I just found out unexpected I have a 4cm x 2cm lobe mass on my right lower lung. Truth be told I don't know anything about cancer excepted the word cancer and what you see on tv.

Unfortunately, I don't have a primary care doctor because I stopped going, my last checkup was right before the pandemic. I have always been pretty healthy, even now with the mas everything else is negative no concerns for other issues. So, the ER and CT scan says.  

However, I find myself a world of not knowing what to do except. Scheduling a biopsy with a Thoracic Surgeon, that I never even knew there was a doctor called one. But I do know I have no choice but to learn all this fast in order to have to best outcome.

Comments

• whenitistimetofight
    whenitistimetofight Member Posts: 9 Member

It's a brave new world. You'll have to get a notepad. And a primary doctor. Ask lots of questions. Write lots of stuff down. And do your research. Which hospital in your area has the best overall outcomes. Which doctors have solid ratings. Etc. Insurance companies. Etc. It's a daily job. Get to it !

• a_beckford
    a_beckford Member Posts: 2 Member

Thank You.... I do have a question, is a PET Scan the same as a CT Scan with contrast?

• whenitistimetofight
    whenitistimetofight Member Posts: 9 Member

A CT Scan with contrast is different then a PET. Scan. Different goals and objectives. A CT scan produces more of a 3D image of the inside of your body. A PET scan is used for organ function.

https://www.newchoicehealth.com/pet-scan/pet-scan-vs-ct-scan

• judyb76
    judyb76 Member Posts: 15 Member

Hi there and although I wish you didn't have reason to be here I want to say WELCOME and tell you that it has been my experience that you/we chose a great site with good caring people.

Like you, I didn't have a Primary either but that will all come during your process. I saw a Pulmonologist first and then the Oncologist, Radiologist and then looked for someone for a Primary doc and finally found one I like. Best of luck to you, I wish you all the best.

I too was in great health until one day just over a couple of years ago I was, totally and unexpectedly, told I had lung cancer! Two nodules lower and upper left lung. I believe one was 3cm and the other 10 AND that mine was small cell "limited". Oh yes, lots to learn once one is diagnosed! Since then I have been in complete remission (cancer free?) but the tests and scans continue to keep on top of what's going on in ones body. I am having a PET scan today due to a changed lab result and of course praying for the best, as always. Like my Oncologist said, cancer will always be the elephant in the room.

I found a lot of the information to my questions online by just doing a search, and I did many, and also you tube has a lot of information.

My thoughts and prayers are with you 🙏 and all of us dealing with this. We just gotta fight the good fight and keep on keepin' on, for as long as God is willing. Enjoy the moment(s), it's all we've ever been guaranteed. 🙂 👍️