Normal wound healing??

Options
misstaylor84
misstaylor84 Member Posts: 73 Member

Yesterday I removed the steri strips since today marks 3 weeks since surgery and last week when I talked to the after-hours nurse he told me if they hadn't started coming off by this week to let them know. Well 2 out of 5 look awesome, can't even hardly tell they did anything there. I have just a small bump under the skin. My long one above my belly button still has two stitches on the bottom and is scabbed over but looks like a scratch. The other two on my left side that sit right under my pant's waistband looked red and irritated when I took the strips off and they each have a small white part in the middle but no warmth, draining, no fever, the edges of the wounds are red but not surrounding skin. I did call the nurse and she said to watch it and not to put anything on it.

I think part of that initial irritation was because I sweat under my waistband and the skin is always moist. Today it looks better, I think, but both my husband and my mom think those two are infected. I had went to my PCP yesterday for routine bloodwork and I hadn't removed the strips at that point so she didn't see them. I have also been sick with an upper respiratory issue so she put me on a Z pack for antibiotics so that should take care of any infection. Now I also seem to have caught a stomach bug because my stomach has felt awful and all I've eaten today was crackers with a little peanut butter and my head is hurting. I just feel like I've been sick with either a head cold or stomach issues since my surgery and I am ready to feel better.

I know it's normal for there to be redness as the wound heals but I'm not sure what the white middle part is. I know infection is bad too so I don't know what to do. I don't go see my oncologist until the 23rd.

Comments

• Tamlen
    Tamlen Member Posts: 343 Member
    Options

Does the patient portal for your oncology center allow you to leave a message for your surgeon, along with a photo? I was able to do that after my own surgery when I had a question about how one of the incisions looked. My husband snapped a photo and I sent it on and had a reply within a few hours. Maybe that would help you get an answer so you don't have to wonder and worry?

• misstaylor84
    Options

Yes I have an online portal where I can message my care team but I have done that before and I never got a reply back lol. I looked at them this morning and I think they are looking much better.

• Harmanygroves
    Harmanygroves Member Posts: 486 Member
    Options

Keep an eye on them, as you are doing. Glad they look better. Aquafor is what I used on mine, after a few weeks.

I had one that just wouldn't close. It is still the biggest scar of all five. You sound good. How are you feeling?

xxooDeb

• misstaylor84
    Options

Hey Deb! If I could just get over this sinus/upper respiratory crud and stomachache and headache I would be feeling pretty good. I have been blowing so much snot out of my nose and I think that's why I have such a headache and once my head starts hurting, I feel crappy all over. My abdomen still has tender spots, especially around my incisions and certain things really hurt my lower back. I'm worried about how I'm healing internally and around my cuff but I know when I see my doctor she's going to do an exam and she will be able to tell me if everything is going good. I'm starting to get really tired of not being able to do stuff I want to do and my husband will soon be gone Monday through Friday and I'm starting to feel depressed. It's always the same routine, every day, and I feel like a burden.

• Harmanygroves
    Harmanygroves Member Posts: 486 Member
    Options

lol, well don't do what "I" did! I got myself into such an anxious, depressed, morose, pathetic, sad, unhappy little tizzy that I ended up having to return using antidepressants, which I had previously felt so smug about weaning myself off! For the love of everything holy, never show anyone that sentence, ha ha.....

You must drink a lot of water. Eat dark leafy greens, and use vinegar and olive oil as dressing. Get healthy. Fruit! Stool softener! and let that man go earn some money so you can feed dogs and all that.

We've been through this. What you need is time now! Heal up, and maybe try some cold medicine too?

XXOODeb

• misstaylor84
    Options

I'm taking a Z pack and have been taking Dayquil and Nyquil as needed but it really hasn't helped much. Tried nasal sprays. Nope. I was able to eat last night without any upset stomach and so far today that at least feels better. I just don't have an appetite lately. The home situation is still rocky. I can't wait to find a job so we can fix our house and move back home. I'm taking stool softeners, just not daily, and not having any problems there. I'm counting down days until I can just take a bath again lol.

• SpringerSpanielMom
    SpringerSpanielMom Member Posts: 137 Member
    Options

Are you feeling better yet? I thought two of mean were infected, but my onc said No. All healed up fine. She wanted the strips off too so air could circulate.

• misstaylor84
    Options

I still have one that might be infected but I still think it looks better and I still have a stitch or two in the one above my belly button. My soreness is different now though, it feels like my skin itself is burning or on fire and it's worse after I've done a bit that day. Usually by bedtime all I want to do is take my pants off and have nothing touching my skin lol. My side muscles get pretty sore lately too. Other than that I'm trucking right along.

• SpringerSpanielMom
    Options

Maybe call your onc again and see if she wants to see you sooner? I don't like the sound of your stitches "burning or on fire". Seems as though you shouldn't be experiencing more than mild soreness and itching at well over 3 wks out. I'll be thinking of you. Keep us posted.

• SpringerSpanielMom
    Options

Not for your stitch area or any open wounds but for general irritation at your waistband or groin, try Dr. Smith's diaper lotion. It will help with the irritation immediately--very soothing. I swear by it in here in hot, humid Austin. It's over the counter at your local grocery store or pharmacy in the baby care section.

• misstaylor84
    Options

No, it's not the stitches hurting, after a busy day my whole stomach feels like it's on fire. Other than that, unless I have done something bad, like pull on something or bend, I don't feel much more than a very minor soreness. When I sit at the table and type too long that tends to increase the soreness. I do occasionally bend over but that really can't be avoided.

• SpringerSpanielMom
    Options

Hope it gets better soon. It was hard to remember not to bend over or lift things.