Cancer and now a STEMI - Heart Attack

Options
Trubrit
Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
edited May 2022 in Colorectal Cancer #1

February has been quite the month.

At the beginning of the month I got my eight year NED news from my Oncologist, and this week I had a heart attack - (An ST-elevation myocardial infarction (STEMI) is a type of heart attack that is more serious and has a greater risk of serious complications and death. It gets its name from how it mainly affects the heart’s lower chambers and changes how electrical current travels through them.)

I returned home from the hospital today, with a helpful little stent in my heart.

Is this a Cancer related post? No! But I've been here long enough I thought I would share with those who I have grown to 'know' via the forum.

So I am now Surviving Stage IV Cancer and Heart Attack - May it last for many more years.

Tru

Comments

• beaumontdave
    beaumontdave Member Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options

Hi Sue, sorry about the new issue, 8 years NED is terrific, but we do move towards the other ''gotcha'' stuff of older age. I hope you bounce back quickly, and further testing shows stability. I know you can handle the mental part, but it still has to be a jarring thing to have show up. Stay strong...................................Dave

• SandiaBuddy
    SandiaBuddy Member Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options

Congratulations on NED and surviving the heart attack. It is sometimes difficult to separate the role that chemo plays in these problems, and there is probably little benefit in doing so after the fact . . . The important thing is that you are home and recovering. I hope you are out hiking in your canyon soon.

• Trubrit
    edited February 2022 #4
    Options

I had the heart attack on Tuesday/Wednesday. The angioplasty at midnight on Wednesday, came home yesterday and this morning - see below. (Nobody at the hospital told me I shouldn't be driving for a week - I found out after I went up.) I just had a little walk, as my heart is working at 45% at the moment because of damage, but, it was enough to keep me happy - plus it was 8˚ F, so cold drove me home. It is my healing place.

• SandiaBuddy
    Options

Such a beautiful Winter hiking scene. It may be sentimental, but I believe nature has healing powers.

• PamRav
    PamRav Member Posts: 348 Member
    Options

YAY for the NED! That is truly wonderful news.

The heart attack must have been so scary. Sounds like you received prompt and great care. Glad to hear you are on the mend. That’ s a beautiful photo, good for you!

• Canadian Sandy
    Canadian Sandy Member Posts: 784 Member
    Options

So happy to hear your coming along okay. Getting older is very challenging. Keep strong Sue!

• Tueffel
    Tueffel Member Posts: 327 Member
    Options

Hello Tru,

Glad to hear that nothing worse happened with your STEMI. I just studied this topic yesterday and saw your post and I am glad you are ok.

I hope you had a good cardiologists and this scary thing will not happen again.

Even though I am not sure if your description of the STEMI is accurate. I might be biased but I think STEMI is nicer because you can diagnose it fast... something you like as a medical student ;)

Keep up

Silvia

• Trubrit
    Options

How wonderful to hear from you, Silvia. I hope you are doing well; as I am sure life has been a roller-coaster of emotions.

I think they call it a Widow Maker, as it usually hits people in their sleep. For sure, the heart attack itself was not overly painful, and I was having it for two whole days before I decided that I had better go and get it checked. But you are right, once I got to the ER, they were on it like flies on a honeypot, and the Doctor arrive in no time to tell me I was having a heart attack.

Sadly, I live in a rural area, and the hospital is not equipped to treat heart attacks, so I had to wait over an hour for a medical flight to arrive from the town to the east, 126 miles which flew me to the big city to the west, 170 miles. What a palaver that all was, but the medical techs were WONDERFUL.

I'm doing well, and I thank you for taking the time to message.

Take good care of yourself.

Tru

• pamness
    pamness Member Posts: 524 Member
    Options

I am a colon cancer survivor 2008 stage 3 a. My primary care who is also a cardiologist told me 7 or 8 years ago that there is a higher than normal number of people with certain types of heart disease who have had thoracic chemo. All of you out the De check with your doctors.

• cmb
    cmb Member Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options

Tru,

My brother also had a "Widowmaker" heart attack about 10 years ago. It happened on a Saturday morning and the only reason he wasn't home sleeping (he's a night owl) was that his work was having a rare Saturday morning meeting. He was ready to blow off any concern about the pangs he was having, but fortunately his boss insisted on calling an ambulance. They were very near a major hospital, so he had his stent put in in less than an hour from the time the ambulance was called. He was very lucky.

I just wanted to let you know that despite his other health issues, he's never had a recurrence of heart trouble since that incident, although he does take some medication too. So the stent has done its job all these years. I hope your recovery goes as smoothly as his did.

• Trubrit
    Options

Thank you for letting me know, cmb. Like Cancer, it is good to hear the survival stories, and 10 years is impressive. I pray he has many, many more.

I too have a bucket load of new medications, one of which I believe I am starting to have a reaction to (Statin).

Tru

• MandiePandie
    MandiePandie Member Posts: 109 Member
    Options

Woah. I'm so sorry that happened but dang happy you made it through to tell the tale.

• NewHere
    NewHere Member Posts: 1,427 Member
    Options

I just tuned in to the board. And saw this. I am so glad to hear you are NED and that they caught the STEMI in time. Rest and fully heal quickly.

• Kazenmax
    Kazenmax Member Posts: 463 Member
    Options

Tru,

I’ve not been on the board in quite a while but I’m glad that I checked in to see your news. You are a treasure. Take care and heal from this. Congrats on NED.

K

• Sestra17
    Sestra17 Member Posts: 68 Member
    Options

Congratulations on the NED😀🙏🏻 And very happy your heart attack was managed. Keep on swimming dear lady!

• SnapDragon2
    SnapDragon2 Member Posts: 717 Member
    Options

Goodness Tru, I can't imagine how scary that would be. Thank God you are OK.

• Trubrit
    Options

I just had my follow-up appointment with the Cardiologist. He is young one, and not long out of school; but both my husband and I felt good about him.

He told me that I was very lucky, as I would not have lasted the night without medical intervention. I don't like the word luck, and I don't like the word blessed. I just think that I dodged yet another bullet, and maybe, just maybe it is not my time to depart this world.

My medical bill at the moment is $174,102.00 It will be interesting to see how much insurance coughs up.

Two days after my heart attack, my husband retired and we have no insurance, so I need to keep healthy, moving forward.

Just thought I would update those who are interested.

• SandiaBuddy
    edited March 2022 #19
    Options

On the financial side, you might want to get a copy of the policy that applied during your medical treatment and take a hard look at the "out of pocket maximum" provisions. You might also want to maintain a spreadsheet with your various payments as sometimes the insurance companies have odd ways of tracking the opm.

Depending on income and other circumstances, you may be able to qualify for ACA coverage with limited or no monthly payments. It is likely well worth a visit to your state or the federal marketplace. Alternatively, you can likely purchase continued coverage on your husband's old plan (COBRA), but there will likely be no financial subsidy.

Best of luck dealing with these financial issues overlayed on the health issues.

• TheLadySkye
    TheLadySkye Member Posts: 203 Member
    Options

Oh my goodness, how scary! How are you feeling now? Love and prayers and goodness and light coming your way. You have certainly been through more than your fair share! <3

• Trubrit
    Options

Seeing your name, makes me happy. I have thought of you often, across the years.

I am doing pretty darn well, considering. I did have another scare, but it ended up being a muscle strain - sure felt like a heart attack though.

I still have a goal to live to 92, so here's hoping I don't have any more close calls.

Be well and happy, The Lady Skye.

Tru