Removal

Options
Zander4461
Zander4461 Member Posts: 1 *
edited February 2022 in Esophageal Cancer #1

Hi I had my osphegus removed April 2021 10 months on still have dry cough, and can't sleep on my sides, have to sleep upright, bad thing I get real bad reflux burning in throat that with cough makes me sick and its pure yellow mucous I bring up consultant says this is common for some poeple very annoying anyone else any tips how to avoid reflux

Comments

• paul61
    paul61 Member Posts: 1,391 Member
    Options

I had regular nightly reflux after my surgery, particularly if I did not sleep on my back in an elevated position. I have found that taking a Gaviscon nightly prior to going to bed helps keep my reflux episodes in check. Gaviscon is different than other antacids in that it has a derivative of seaweed that creates a coating over the top of the contents of your stomaphagus and keeps contents from moving up.

• sideways
    sideways Member Posts: 24 Member
    Options

I posted this in another thread a few threads down on page 1...

I wanted to come back and share my recent experiences, or lack there of, with regards to bile/acid reflux attacks. While I know everyone's situation and physiology is different my approach just might help someone, so I thought I'd share. It started with my daily timed release nitro I take for my heart. I was waking up between 3-5AM with angina like symptoms. This was basically in the 20-22 hour range after taking my medication window. My Cardio doc suggested I take it before bed instead of the morning. Voila! it worked! I haven't had an episode since.

About a month later, and after a few nasty Bile/acid reflux episodes, I thought why not do the same with my Esomeprazole 40mg. So I started taking it before bedtime instead of 6am. That was about 5 months ago and I haven't had a single reflux episode. Where as before I would get 1-4 a month. I know it sounds like a simple fix, but it's worked wonders for me so far. I actually have been able to even lower my bed a little bit more.