Im 34!!! Please any advice On thickened endometrium 15.90mm

Options
mstar310
mstar310 Member Posts: 29 Member
edited February 2022 in Uterine/Endometrial Cancer #1

Hi everyone I’m new here, I am finding comfort in the warmness of the forum. I wanted to share what I’m going through and see if anyone has any advice for me. I’m 34, was diagnosed with PCOS at 16. Over the years I have had months of missing periods, regular periods that come like clock work, or some that come like every 40/45 days. Pretty much I’m irregular. 

I recently had a ultrasound 3/2021 and the notes were this: Uterus normal size, small ov follicles, 3 small endometrial polyps

my doctor didn’t really say much besides oh you have a few polys no big deal well monitor them. So now 2/22 and it’s time for another routine pcos check up and she ordered another ultrasound. After this ultrasound this is what they had to say: 

Uterus: enlarged/ slightly bulky.heterogeneous probably adenomyosis vascular. Probable small subserosal fibroid seen anterior, mid-rt 1.6x0.8x1.0cm 

EC-slightly thick. Heterogeneous 

Cervix: nabothain cyst

Bilateral múltiple ovarian follicles seen, largest is simple on the rt ov: 1.3x 1.2x 1.2cm 

Probable pcos May be seen, there are no obvious ovarian cyst seen today. Bilateral enlarged ovaries seen 

Clu de sac: mild amount of free fluid seen. Mild free fluid seen anterior to rt ovary 

Uterus: 

Length-10.95cm 

Width-6.55cm

Height-5.71 cm

Volume 214.55cm 

Endometrium thickness-15.90mm

I just would like to know what you all think based on the findings, can this be a little more serious because the doctor kept saying that it was the thicker endometrium that is the reasons for a emb. So I have a emb scheduled for March 4th. I have read people saying that a DNC is better. I didn’t know that was an option the doctor said they were just being “proactive” so I guess we’ll see what happens if they can get a good sample if not I’ll ask for a DNC. I am obviously nervous but since it’s not a diagnosis of anything yet, I do not want to stress out so much, but I do not want to go about blindly so I figured I do research of my own. I do get sharp pains inside of my vaginal a lot and I notice it happens after a few days later from intercourse w my husband. I always blew it off that we don’t do it so often. Besides that there’s the heavy periods, my family’s history and spotting between my periods. Also the fact that the doctor said numbers of times the thickness of the uterus so anyway you can tell me your story or anything else I would appreciate it so much. I don’t even know if my findings are so bad, like how bad is a 15.90 mm thickness? I was one day after my expected ovulation, and I have had a tubal ligation years ago. So yes thanks in advance blessings 🙏🏽🙏🏽

Comments

• Harmanygroves
    Harmanygroves Member Posts: 486 Member
    Options

You are a smart woman for being 'on top' of things. I am much older than you, but I had endometriosis at your age, and ovarian polyps. I wonder if I had undiagnosed Pcos? Hmmm. Anyway, I pushed for a D & C / polypectomy / hysteroscopy rather than having a biopsy done, as I never had kids and am post menopausal, and I wanted to be "put out" rather than endure the pain of them trying to break through my cervix.

A lot of woman in here will mention this to you, and I'll be the first: a very small percentage of woman end up with uterine cancer, and there are a HOST of issues that you may be having, but don't worry about cancer until it's diagnosed. If, and that's a small percentage, it is, we will be here the whole way to support you. Until you get the lab results back, try to take a deep breath. Hugs to you!

Deb 2

• mstar310
    Options

Thank you SO much yes, I’m trying to not jump the gun on things. I’m just wondering what would I do? I have the EMB scheduled already do I go then ask for it then or do I call and see if they can change it? I was thinking about how would I go about it. Based on my post and ultrasound does it sound bad? I’ve been wondering If I’m over exaggerating. After looking up information is when I even knew that a emb was to check for abnormal cells. The doctor didn’t mention more besides being “proactive” and my thick uterus thanks again so much I was scarred nobody would reply <3!!

• Harmanygroves
    Harmanygroves Member Posts: 486 Member
    Options

The thing is....every woman in this "space" has been through what you're going through. We get it! That said, I can tell you that one of my good "friends" in this site went through the process of biopsies and stress and ended up without cancer. It's happened in here more than once.

We're a "skewed" population as we were all diagnosed with some sort of cancer, but I'll tell you, it's more common to find out you have a polyp, or hyperplasia, or fibroids, or....and that's exactly what I hope is happening for you!

Fortunately, you are getting it checked out.

When I had an extremely painful pap smear--painful to the degree it was nearly intolerable, and I've been getting those for a long time--I was fortunate in that I had some endometrial (uterine) tissue shedding down through my cervix, and it showed some atypical glandular cells. Next, my doctor, who is kind of a robot at times, was going to send me for a biopsy. After the pain of the pap, I thought, "NO F--WAY!" and called a friend of mine who had recently had a D & C owing to an enlarged uterus and a thickening of the "stripe." Anyway, my friend encouraged me to push for the D & C, and the gyn surgeon said, "Um, given some of your issues, I certainly support that."

So, that's how I got what I wanted--mostly, to be in a hospital under sedation, so I would not have pain. Also, with a D & C, they are removing more tissue, and they also did the hysteroscopy (explained well by Denise, as I recall) and had a good look around with the scope. They removed polyps as well.

I had a result in about a week's time, and if you "click" on my name, you can read the whole story. You may find it helpful to read some of our stories. All this said, the most important thing you need to learn right now is to take ONE STEP at a time. Learn patience. This is not a quick fix. Hopefully, after you get your biopsy--whether through an in-office procedure or D & C--you will be free and clear. If, however, you get an issue you need to deal with, you need to figure out how to jump from one lily pad to the next, and not stress about the water in-between, if that makes sense. Keep having a life. Practice self-care.

• mstar310
    Options

Hi Harmanygroves,

Thanks again for your reply, yes I read your profile good thing you pushed for the dnc. I think with my insurance they may need me to do the biopsy and then approve the dnc I called in yesterday to ask. I am going to call again today. Thanks for your support and yes I know for a fact I have 3 polyps and adenomyosis as well as fibroids. So learning that from the biopsy, Will be interesting. I totally understand that it’s a waiting game and I have decided to just deal with it mentally then if I have to. In the meantime I am BEYOND grateful for strong women like yourself who share their stories with people like me in the “waiting room” :)! I did do a little further reading and saw an article that said for women who have just ovulated, a endometrium thickness of up to 16mm is normal. So, I am now questioning why my doctor wants to do the biopsy if at the time of the ultrasound I had just ovulated so my thickness of 15.90 would fall into a normal range for premenopausal. I am guessing it could be the fact that they now have me down as having adenomyosis, as well as the polyps and fibroids so who knows. I have just decided to stop the panicking lol for now at least it’s not going to help me out. :)! One lily pad at a time my friend! :)! Makes perfect sense I love that thanks for the beautiful message and because of it I will have a beautiful day! :)!

• Momschooling
    Momschooling Member Posts: 106 Member
    Options

Hi,

I had a lot of fibroids which was the cause of all my symptoms, however the sono showed 16mm lining which lead to my biopsy and early stage/low grade cancer diagnosis (the first read was pre cancer however Dana Farber saw grade 1 cancer and that was confirmed at surgery). I am 48 though, I think it's much less likely to be cancer for someone in their 30's, but it's always better to get it checked out. Try to have more than 1 place look at the biopsy findings if you can.

• mstar310
    Options

Good morning,

thanks for your story <3! Yes I will listen to your advice about getting it checked out more than once. I’m happy yours was at least low grade, how have things been now?