Nerve pain after mastectomy

Options
smallbutmighty
smallbutmighty Member Posts: 5 Member
edited April 2022 in Breast Cancer #1

I had my bilateral mastectomy just over a month ago, and am continuing to have nerve pain that is pretty severe. It is worse when I try to sleep, and I am not able to sleep more than a few hours a night if that, and have tried pillows under my arms, sleeping in a lift chair recliner, and nothing seems to help. My concerns about chronic pain prior to surgery were addressed by oncology team by them telling me it was uncommon, and I figured I was just scared and overreacting but I have since found from doing my own research, which I wish I had done prior to surgery, that it is pretty common. Has anyone found something that works to address this? Has anyone has this go away, and how long does it take? I am not sure I can go on being this exhausted all the time.

Comments

• hope fully
    hope fully Member Posts: 1 Member
    Options

I had a single mastectomy and i would get the worst nerve pain. Doctors told me that the nerves were healing. In talking to others, I found that many never had this side effect. I always considered I had a high pain threshhold before, but this had me doubled over in pain in a flash. I mostly experienced the pains during the day. Don't be discouraged - they will eventually go away. I think I was an extreme case, and it took almost a year until they subsided. In the meantime, you should inquire about some pain remedies. Good luck and I am sending positive thoughts that your nerve pain will end soon!😊