Orgovyx & 2nd generation hormone therapy

Options
watertender
watertender Member Posts: 9 Member
edited February 2022 in Prostate Cancer #1

Has anyone here had experience with the new pill Orgovyx? Do you know if it is compatible with Zytiga or 2nd generation drugs?

My husband is Gleason 9 and nervous about the Lupron side effects so even though side effects look to be the same he is considering Orgovyx. The radiation oncologist says whatever he wants to use so we are a it lost on which direction to go.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• VascodaGama
    VascodaGama Member Posts: 3,662 Member
    edited February 2022 #2
    Options

Both drugs perform well in combination with Zytiga but Orgovyx (relugolix) is an antagonist while Lupron (leuprolide) is an agonist. Orgovyx is friendlier in terms of the side effects but it requires precaution as it must be taken/swallow everyday. Lupron is a shot available in three doses that can be taken monthly, once every three months or once every six, therefore more convenient. 😉

Best

VG

• J69
    J69 Member Posts: 35 Member
    Options

I have been on Orgovyx for three months. I do not know what other hormone drugs it is compatible with. I first started with two injections of Firmagon, but didn’t like the reaction. My Urologist switched me to Orgovyx. I will be on it for 18 months. The side effects are weight gain in the stomach area. some tiredness in the afternoon and on and off hot flashes. I really can’t say hot flash, as it is more like some sweating that comes on quickly and goes away quickly. One small pill a day. It is however very expensive. My Urologist worked with my insurance to get my co-pay down to $40 a month. Hope that helps.

• J69
    Options

I forgot to add that Orgovyx is supposed to be better on the heart if there are any heart problems to begin with. Sorry, being new here I didn’t know how to edit the first post.

• watertender
    watertender Member Posts: 9 Member
    Options

Thanks for the feedback. Not many have used this yet since it is quite expensive, hoping to get some assistance from the company. He will start it in a couple weeks.  How was the fatigue with this?  Was your weight gain significant?  Hoping to stave off some of this with exercise.

• J69
    edited February 2022 #6
    Options

I had my radiation and Orgovyx at the same time. I got tired in the afternoon everyday. A short nap took care of that. However, I did take a short nap before any treatments. The difference is that I just ran out of steam around the same time everyday. Now that the radiation is over. I am back to my normal old man short naps, but not everyday. As far as weight gain, I did put on around ten pounds. However, I really didn’t hit the exercise hard enough as I should have. I would suggest, as many stomach crunches as possible before he starts and continue exercising as well everyday. I really don’t eat that much, so I feel my weight gain is mostly water retention. I take the Orgovyx pill every morning and I still do all the work I did before. I would also suggest to stay as cool as possible during the day as well as sleeping. That has really cut down on the sweating. My URO did all the work with the insurance to get my co-pay down to $40.00/month. My best to you and your husband.