4 years since Stage 4B diagnosis, 3.5 years NED

Options
Tamlen
Tamlen Member Posts: 343 Member
edited February 2022 in Uterine/Endometrial Cancer #1

Hello, everyone -

I don't stop in often anymore but wanted to share good news I received recently. I was diagnosed in January 2018, initially as Stage II, then 3 months later after a scan, Stage IVB with nodules having spread to my lungs via LVSI. Life looked like it would be quite abbreviated.

Yet here I am, 59 now, and NED since chemo ended early fall 2018. My most recent PET scan was a few weeks ago and, for the first time ever, my oncologist was positively brimming with upbeat prognostications. She's usually rather silent about my future. This time, she said, "It's looking really good for you getting to that magical 5-year mark. Just one more year!" I asked if the 5-year mark was really meaningful to someone with Stage IV, since it's not considered curable. She said, "I think you're going to have a very good long while yet. It may not even come back in your case. It will if it wants to, but you and I have done everything possible that can be done now, and it may not return." Wow! It probably helped me that when the cancer spread, it went straight to my lungs without stopping anywhere else, and the lung nodules were caught before they were large.

I have been out living my life (well, such as it is during a pandemic), thinking about cancer every day but not letting it lead my life. I know it may come back. I know maybe there's a chance it won't. I can live with not knowing because I'd made my peace with a likely abbreviated life three years ago. Every additional day is a gift.

Thanks to all of you on the board who have been with me on this journey and who have provided such support, wisdom, and friendship. I'll continue to stop in occasionally and try to be helpful.

Tamlen

Comments

• Ribbons
    Ribbons Member Posts: 150 Member
    Options
  • thatblondegirl
    thatblondegirl Member Posts: 384 Member
    Options

It’s great to see your name pop up, Tamlen! That’s wonderful news! I’m so happy for you! And it’s so important for all of us to know that success is possible!

❤️❤️❤️, Alicia

• cmb
    cmb Member Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options

So glad you stopped back in to share such great news! Savor this wonderful milestone and continue to enjoy this "found time" that you didn't necessarily expect to have.

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    TeddyandBears_Mom Member Posts: 1,811 Member
    Options

Congrats Tamlen! So happy to see your name pop up. Thanks for coming back and sharing your wonderful news. It is nice to celebrate with you!

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

• LisaPizza
    LisaPizza Member Posts: 358 Member
    Options

Such wonderful news, and so encouraging!

• BluebirdOne
    BluebirdOne Member Posts: 656 Member
    Options

Congrats Tamlen! Thanks for stopping by to let us know. Your feelings echo mine, everyday is a gift.

xxoo

Denise

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,371 Member
    Options

Tamlen, this is such wonderful news. Thank you for sharing with us and allowing us to celebrate with you.

NoTime

• Spydergal
    Spydergal Member Posts: 57 Member
    Options

Congratulations, this is fantastic news

• woodstock99
    woodstock99 Member Posts: 202 Member
    Options

Wonderful news! ❤️

• Lyn70
    Lyn70 Member Posts: 214 Member
    Options

Totally Awesome and Totally Encouraging News from you, Tamlen. Thank you for stopping in to lift the spirits of all on this site while offering advice on living in the 'in between' times. I am seeking that peace in my dx. This pandemic and the recent surge has led to too much introspection on my part. I am so much better a busy person. I vacillate between acceptance and anxiety and fear.

• Harmanygroves
    Harmanygroves Member Posts: 486 Member
    Options

Tamlen - I've learned so much from you! Your news makes me so happy. I'm just delighted for you, and smiling at my computer (which is very amusing to me tonight). Great to hear from you, beautiful Tamlen!

• Soup52
    Soup52 Member Posts: 908 Member
    Options

I haven’t been on since the changed format, so I’ve really been looking for familiar names. I have hit the 5 year mark and am cautiously optimistic. There have been many changes at my center with original doc gone and replaced with one I’m not fond of. Now another new doc is here and I’ve heard good things so I, hopeful.

• TeddyandBears_Mom
    TeddyandBears_Mom Member Posts: 1,811 Member
    Options

Soup! So glad to see your name pop up. Congrats on your 5 years. It really is a wonderful feeling to hit that milestone. Thanks for letting us celebrate with you.

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

• Lyn70
    Lyn70 Member Posts: 214 Member
    Options

Hello, Soup,

I hope you can find some familiar names but we newbies are happy to welcome you back and celebrate with you! YAH! I am so glad you came back to tell us of your 5 year mark. I love to hear encouraging milestone news and 5 years is just amazing. I am just 6 months post treatment with 3 month checkups and 6 month scans.

I never thought about the changes that could happen at a treatment center... I hope the new doc is more to your liking. ((Hugs))

• Tamlen
    Tamlen Member Posts: 343 Member
    Options

Thanks for all the well wishes, everyone. And Soup -- so very glad to hear your excellent news too! I hope the new onc turns out to be a good one for you.

Tamlen

• cmb
    cmb Member Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options

Hey Soup - glad that you checked back in to give us your update! 5 Years is a great milestone and one we're so happy to celebrate with you.

Most of my various doctors are near or already past retirement age. I'm not looking forward to having to find replacements when they leave. I hope your new doctor works out well for you.

• woodstock99
    woodstock99 Member Posts: 202 Member
    Options

Awesome news. So happy for you and sounds like you got this! All the best!