Anal cancer again after 10 years

Options
StruTanToot
StruTanToot Member Posts: 126 Member
edited June 2022 in Anal Cancer #1

I have received a second anal cancer diagnosis 10 years after the first one. The docs say it’s not a recurrence after such a long period of time.

A surgeon where I live in SC wanted to schedule a colostomy as soon as my biopsy came back positive. He didn’t even suggest seeing any oncologists before surgery.

I don’t trust the docs here and am going to both Duke and UNC on Monday to see what they think. If I have to have a colostomy, I’ll definitely have it done in NC.

Radiation may not be an option since I had so much 10 years ago.

Have any of you had this experience? If so, please tell me how you were treated. Any advice, guidance, and suggestions are appreciated.

Comments

• pializ
    pializ Member Posts: 508 Member
    Options

I am so sorry to hear your news. You are right to get a second opinion. I always understood that an APR would be the approach that would be used in such circumstances. Best wishes and keep us informed

• StruTanToot
    edited February 2022 #3
    Options

A colostomy has been recommended by doctors at both Duke and UNC as the first option.

Another option is have have limited radiation and chemo.

The third is to have the tumor removed with no colostomy. It's right outside the anus. The surgeon said healing would be difficult and might cause me worse bowel problems than I have now. The other surgeon said he could only offer me a colostomy.

I'm not sure what to do.

• kateril
    kateril Member Posts: 19 Member
    Options

I'm so sorry you are in this predicament, and I'm praying for you right now. You say the tumor is right outside the anus... does it involve the sphincter muscles? My MIL decided to have tumor removed, and they got it all, but she did have problems with healing, until they packed the wound with some kind of crystals, then it healed.

• StruTanToot
    Options

That’s good to know. There’s more chance of a recurrence though. Also, I have a lot of bowel issues from 10 years ago. Surgeon said just removing the tumor could make things worse. Still at a loss of what to do. Thank you for replying.

• pializ
    Options

Could they do a temporary colostomy, remove the tumour and if they have got it all, eventually reverse the colostomy?

• StruTanToot
    Options

I asked about that. There would be a long and painful healing process still. It wouldn’t hurt to ask again though. I already have a lot of scar tissue down there. Bowel movements are an ordeal. I’ve read that the permanent colostomy is the most curative. I’m not happy about it.

• kateril
    kateril Member Posts: 19 Member
    Options

I wouldn't be happy about it, either! I've wondered if I'll eventually end up with colostomy, and can't get my head wrapped aroung it. So I went looking... and found blogs by young women who had IBD that was so bad they eventually had to get the permanent colostomy. They are amazing, showing pictures of themselves in bikinis, talking about how afraid they were, how healthy and fit they've become, how much better their lives are now that they don't suffer from the pain and debilitating effects of disease. It gave me hope that no matter what comes, I will adapt to it, and make the best of it. Everyone's experience will be different of course, and the decisions you're facing are emotionally stressful. I wish I had saved the links to some of the blogs. Search for and reach out to people who are sharing their stories and journey of living with colostomy. They are out there, and they're offering to share with and support others.

• pializ
    Options

I understand your search for an alternative to a colostomy. It does sound though, that with so many ongoing bowel issues, it could actually change your life in a very positive way. Keep asking though because there may be other answers out there that include other options. Are there any treatment trials etc?

• mxperry220
    mxperry220 Member Posts: 493 Member
    Options

I recall in 2008 after I was treated for anal cancer the doctors told me if there was a recurrence, I could have no more radiation as I had the maximum radiation allowed.