Is anybody out there?

vjhill25
vjhill25 Member Posts: 8 Member
edited February 2022 in Colorectal Cancer #1

Hi. My husband (62 years old) has recently been diagnosed with cancer (20th of January 2022). His tumour is big - 8.5cm x 6.5cm. It’s growing on the outside of the caecum and has grown through the colon wall only recently they think which is why it wasn’t diagnosed earlier. He’s also got cirrhosis of the liver just to complicate things. He’s having surgery next Tuesday (8th of February) they’ll be taking out a large part of his ascending colon and he’ll have a colostomy for a minimum of 3 months and hopefully they’ll do the resection at the 3 month point. We live in France so I’m learning a whole new vocabulary. My Dad had cancer of the colon in 1980 and lived for 20 years with a colostomy and no chemotherapy or radiotherapy. It’s a lonely business being a carer, especially in covid times. Only going out for food shopping as we can’t risk him catching covid and delaying his surgery.

Comments

• abita
    abita Member Posts: 1,152 Member

Yes, there are people on this forum.

• SandiaBuddy
    SandiaBuddy Member Posts: 1,381 Member
    edited February 2022 #3

Things may be a bit slow on the forum at this point in time, but there are many people with valuable experience that they can share with you.

My first thought is that initial diagnoses can often be incorrect. For me, they thought the tumor was in a different area of the colon than where it was found in surgery--something that worked out to my benefit. Also, tumor size is not necessarily negative. I had a large tumor but have survived so far. The most reliable information will likely come after surgery.

Covid certainly compounds all of the issues you are dealing with.

Soon after diagnosis, things happen so fast it sometimes is best to only focus on the next step. For your husband, that is the upcoming surgery. Simple things you can do in preparation include eating well, sleeping and exercising as much as possible. Be sure to bring a bathrobe and slippers to the hospital, and get him up walking as soon as he is able. It may be peculiar to me, but I had an IV in each arm and I hated the tape tearing off my arm hair. Your husband might want to shave both arms the day before surgery. And while on the topic of male issues, you might want to inquire of the surgeon if s/he is going to use a urinary catheter (likely) and if a course of a drug like Finasteride before surgery might be appropriate to help with the restoration of normal bladder function after the catheter is removed (there are some old posts on this topic).

I wish you the best of luck with all of the issues and challenges you are dealing with.

• vjhill25

Thanks!!

Thanks so much for your reply. My husband is eating well and sleeping a lot. Not very much exercise as he’s in a lot of pain.. He’s got an intolerance to opioids so pain management is complicated.. As you say, we’ll know more once the surgery has been completed.. thanks again for your advice..

• SandiaBuddy

Increased exercise can be as little as an extra lap around the room. . . Every little bit helps. Plus setting goals is sometimes empowering.

• vjhill25

He walks a bit round the house and up the stairs but that’s about it for now.. He’s planning more after the op as we have a dog.. He’s hoping to build up gently once he feels up to it..

• StonedCamaro
    StonedCamaro Member Posts: 38 Member

We are here! I've always been the caregiver and am having a very hard time now being the patient! Quarantine in these times has added a new hardship, for sure. Have been having to cancel my European vacay plans since 2020...I was just diagnosed on 11/19/21 which cancelled this summers Euro vacay...again😤

How advanced is the liver scerosis? That would complicate things a lot.

Prayers for your hubby and his surgeon to be swiftly successful!!!

• vjhill25

Hi! His liver cirrhosis is bad. It complicates his surgery which is taking place tomorrow.. Stressful times.. Sorry to hear that you’ve been a caregiver and now you’re ill. I’m currently in a hotel room in Northern Paris. The operation is taking place 100km from where we live. I’ll be doing a lot of driving.. Good luck to you and hope you get well soon to get back to travelling!!

• beaumontdave
    beaumontdave Member Posts: 1,280 Member

Hello, we are around, just ill at ease with the new format, feeling a lost intimacy sacrificed to technology's march. My initial tumor wasn't quite that size, but two nodes outside had the cancer, you didn't mention any other spots of disease so that can be a good sign. I don't know how the cirrhosis may affect treatments and risks, somewhere along my path someone noted a ''slightly enlarged'' liver, but nothing's come of it, and I still enjoy my beer, albeit moderately, compared to my youth. Tomorrow's the 'big day' for your man, and I imagine you get some better answers and clearer choices after. Bon courage to you both..............................Dave

• vjhill25

Thanks for your answer - as you say we’ll know more tomorrow. It’s good to know that I’m not alone.. Thanks

• SandiaBuddy

Wishing you the best in the surgery and forthcoming results.

• BerniceOB
    BerniceOB Member Posts: 40 Member

We will be thinking of you and your husband. I am the caregiver and my husband went through chemo, radiation, and surgery for pretty much all of 2021. His surgery was in mid-September.

you are not alone. Prayers for you and your husband.

• vjhill25

Hi, it was a bit more complicated than expected.. Tumour was bigger than originally thought, wrapped round some blood vessels.. 2 surgeons, one was the professor working for 6 hours. His liver is quite bad and they drained 3L before they could even start.. The tumour, the fluid and some lymph nodes have all been sent off and the results will be back in 3 weeks.. then they’ll decide if he needs chemotherapy. He’ll spend 3 days minimum in a special unit on post-operative observation.. Then a minimum of 3 weeks on a normal ward. He’s got a morphine drip that he can operate himself.. He’s awake and quite upbeat.. The surgeon phoned me to explain what happened. He also had a blood transfusion.. I’ll keep you updated as things progress.

Thanks for your messages - they’re much appreciated. Take care ..

• SandiaBuddy

Thank you for the update. We will all be hoping for the best results!

• beaumontdave

Well it sounds like a ''mixed bag'', and you hadn't mentioned any issues of 'margins, but that he's recovering well so far is good to hear. I hope the tests and results all come back as good as can be, and he heals quickly..................................Dave

• vjhill25

Thanks for your kind comments.. He’s improving day by day.. What do you mean by « margins »?

best wishes

Vicki

• beaumontdave

Hi, I'm referring to the clear tissue at the edge of the removed tumors, somethings surgeons speak of in terms of width around the removed tissue to be assured all disease in the particular mass is contained...........................Dave

• vjhill25

Hi - thanks for clearing this up.. The tumour was 10 cm long around his colon but bearing in mind they told at least a 1/3 of his colon, I think they left a margin either side.. He’s out of intensive care either tonight or tomorrow morning and he’s being moved to hepatology where they’re going to do a portal vein stunt to reconnect the vein to a healthier part of his liver.. Keyhole surgery so less invasive thankfully.. He’s up and walking from today and eating real food so things going quite well 😊