Bras for support after mastectomy with breast expanders

smallbutmighty
smallbutmighty Member Posts: 5 Member

I am new to this sisterhood, recently diagnosed and had double mastectomy surgery On Jan 12th, 2022. I had reconstruction surgery at the same time and have the beast expanders. I got my drains out a few days ago, and I had a tegaderm dressing removed that was put on right after surgery. I was a 34 B size prior to surgery. I am disappointed in the hospital system's lack of aftercare with regard to what I should be wearing now to provide support and comfort. My reconstructive surgeon had three pictures of bras I could order on amazon, all of which had really mixed reviews, some of which were really bad. one of them is basically a sports bra, which I would think would be too much compression, but I really don't know. That was the extent of any assistance I have received. My oncology surgeon was pretty much out of the picture after surgery and spending about five minutes with me at a follow up appointment a week after surgery. My medical oncologist said I could try a wide ace bandage, which seems pretty lame. I have a friend in another state who had a place connected to their cancer center that she could go to and they fit her. The only place anywhere near me I could find just had bras for people who are post mastectomy without reconstruction. I am looking for help from people who have been through this. I am having the most discomfort after I have been asleep for about three or four hours, and am really hoping that getting something to provide support might help. Otherwise I will remain exhausted, as I am averaging about three or four hours sleep a night. Any insights, recommendations, would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• DC2
    DC2 Member Posts: 2 Member

Hello Smallbutmighty,

I just went through this myself and I agree with you--VERY little communication from my medical team about what to do after surgery. Very little help in finding products and there are so many different recommendation on the internet. Seems like every plastic surgeon had a website with advise out there, but none of them are the same.

Fortunately, I live in a mid-size town with a specialty bra store. I went in and basically asked them what to do, because they are the experts. The hooked me up with 2 compression bras, which seemed like a Kevlar vest, but they worked. Good support, soft, didn't hurt, and really helped with the healing process. I lived in mine through expanders and reconstruction. Worth the investment!!!

I hope you can find a bra that works for you. Also--I found that nurses were much better about giving advise on aftercare than the doctor. A little sweet talk and appreciation, and nurses will take care of you. Stay strong my sister!! Don't you just hate being part of this club!!!!!

• smallbutmighty
    smallbutmighty Member Posts: 5 Member

Thanks for the reply. Since I sent the post I found a website called AnaOno, and ordered a couple bras from them. I am hopeful that they will work. They offered a lot more information and support than any of my health care team did, possibly because the business was started and products made by a breast cancer survivor who couldn't find anything out there that worked for her.

I totally agree with you regarding nurses. The most helpful aftercare info I have received has been from other survivors. I think it would be so helpful to have a physician treating breast cancer who has been through this themselves, not that I would wish that for anyone, but I think they might have more empathy and maybe give more attention to some of the aftercare issues if they have faced into these things themselves. I have had so many follow up appointments that have not felt like they offered a lot of value to me other than them checking off their boxes after spending a couple of minutes with me, and being dismissive of concerns. I hope you are staying strong yourself. Thanks again for your reply. Much appreciated!