Hunger-like pains 5 months post resection, worried about recurrence

Options
Floshoe
Floshoe Member Posts: 11 Member

Hello, everyone. My ex was diagnosed with Stage 4 colon cancer in August, spread to lymph nodes and some tumor seeding in abdominal cavity. He had a colon resection, plus removal of a tumor beneath his navel, followed by 5 rounds of Folfox which he finished in November. His CT scan in late December was clean. They’re doing a “wait and see” approach.

For the last two weeks he’s had stomach pain, which he describes as feeling like bad hunger pains which aren’t satisfied by eating. They come and go. The oncologist keeps saying it probably isn’t cancer recurrence because he recently had a clean scan. Instead, they’re sending him back to the surgeon to see if this is a surgical complication. Have any of you experienced anything similar? We’re worried! Thanks in advance!

Comments

• SandiaBuddy
    SandiaBuddy Member Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options

Congratulations on the clean scan. Pains are not too unusual. They can be from the surgery, from the altered post-surgical biome, or from something else. Maybe trying an OTC med like cimetidine would be worthwhile (also probably has an anti-cancer effect). For me, I have had some consistent pain since surgery. But so far, so good. I often say, "it beats the alternative." I wish you luck in finding answers to these issues.

• SnapDragon2
    SnapDragon2 Member Posts: 717 Member
    Options

Could be a number of things as Sandia said. Adhesions also are common and do cause pain.

Get to the root of the problem and get reassurance.

• Floshoe
    Floshoe Member Posts: 11 Member
    Options

Thanks for the info! He has a follow up with the surgeon on Tuesday, but right now he hasn’t had a bowel movement for 3 days, even with Miralax, so I’m wondering if this is going to go into crisis mode this weekend. I’ll post what the surgeon says, in case anyone has a similar issue!

• SnapDragon2
    Options

He could be dehydrated if no bowel movement in 3 days even with miralax. Make him drink drink and drink some more water. My first thought was low on magnesium and dehydrated.

• SnapDragon2
    Options

If it is dehydration, one thing that helps my grandkids with it is eating lots of watermelon (mainly because they don't want "just water")

• PATROU
    PATROU Member Posts: 1 Member
    Options

My husband has stage three rectal cancer low lying tumor and needs a PR surgery which is refusing please someone give me some words of wisdom that would help convince him that it’s necessary