Synovial Sarcoma Caretaker

Options
TEastman6
TEastman6 Member Posts: 2 Member
edited November 2022 in Caregivers #1

All, forgive me if this is not the right way to post in this forum. I found the instructions vague at best, but please point me in the right direction if I'm lost. My wife was diagnosed with synovial sarcoma in her leg about 2 years ago. After the worst 24 months of our lives with aggressive chemotherapy, radiation, and surgery, she lost about a third of her upper leg but was cancer free. Now, after the eighth or ninth quarterly checkup they have located something suspicious in her lung that will require a lobectomy and biopsy. I am terrified. I know I have the strength to support her again and I know that I will. We have been married 21 years and she is my world but I am scared that I will break.

Comments

• leahlu
    leahlu Member Posts: 2 Member
    Options

I think everything that you are feeling is completely valid. I think that just as much as you want to be there for her, you should also have someone that you can turn to. For me and my situation, it is my mom going through treatment and I am terrified about losing her and I turned to some friends that are going through the same thing with their parents. No one's situation will ever be the same, but there is a deeper level of understanding with people that have been through a similar situation. There may be support groups near you for spouses/caregivers if you don't personally know anyone, as well! I am still scared that I am going to lose her, but it helps for me to vocalize my fears to my friends and when I'm with her I can focus on being in the moment and really being there for her.

• stagg27
    stagg27 Member Posts: 12 Member
    Options

That is normal .. you feel like you could scream you have no control nor does she . Cancer is controlling your life again normal . You need to live you life not live for the cancer treatments. My late husband and I would take three day weekends go to the beach . When we left the driveway it was like a wf was taken off and we had no cancer we were normal again. Re got Recharged and able to face what came next . You need to take time out of that full time job of cancer treatments…. Continue to live and take time for your selfs . Talk to a social worker for support groups in your area or get some back up help ..