Question on findings

Options
tgpath1
tgpath1 Member Posts: 97 Member

I had my third set of CT/MRI's post neph. I don't have my doctors appointment for another two weeks to discuss but the results show up on my chart. The results of my CT show "Lungs: The lungs are clear without pulmonary nodules or masses. Micronodules mean diameter less than 6 mm in only 1 to 2 mm in size are stable. No suspicious nodules have developed The central airways are patent. "

The part about micronodules is new and has never been noted before. Has anyone else had this? Are micronodules a precursor to another type of cancer or are they "normal"? I am only concerned because they have not been noted in prior scans which leads me to believe that they are new...not sure if I should be worried or not?

Comments

• stub1969
    stub1969 Member Posts: 966 Member
    Options

Don't you just hate it when new things appear on those results? I'm not sure if it's because different doctors are looking at the photos, or your body was in a different position, or a new thing popped up. I know during my initial baseline scans they noted some small "Nodules" (I can't remember the term that was used, but basically I had something there that the doctor thought was worth mentioning). In any event, during my discussion with my surgeon, he said he wasn't concerned about it, but would watch for this in my next scan. In every scan after that, nothing has been mentioned.

I understand your concern, but my suggestion is to try your best not to think about it until you talk to your doctor. I'm betting it's nothing to worry about.

Keep us posted!

Stub

• tgpath1
    Options

Thanks Stub! I am not stressing too much since it also says no suspicious nodules have developed. But since it was not referenced on prior scans and I am less than one year out, I can't help but worry a little bit. I'm sure that they are going to say it's nothing...but even if it's a watch and see, that's scary!! I shouldn't even read the results until after I speak to the doctor but I can't help myself!

• stub1969
    stub1969 Member Posts: 966 Member
    Options

I'm not sure how you and others manage to wait days before meeting with your doctors. I'm so lucky to have scans in the morning and meet with my doctor in the afternoon on the same day. I will admit, results hit the portal before I meet with my doctor and I do take a peek:)

I'm with you....I don't think is anything to worry about.

Stub

• tgpath1
    Options

LOL...I wish!! I live in NH so I get my scans locally but my doc is in Boston so I have to wait for him to actually get the bloodwork and scans before I can meet with him. I can't get scans and an appointment same day in Boston. But I'm grateful to have Dana Farber....so I live with the inconvenience.

• AliceB1950
    AliceB1950 Member Posts: 238 Member
    Options

I have nodules in my lungs. I have all kinds of oddball things inside me, but what I've found is that some radiologists mention everything they find and others stick with just certain things. My last scan mentioned a splenule, which is like a non-functioning spleen mini-me. I asked one of my doctors about it, and she said, oh, some people are born with those, they're not a problem. I'm over 70 and it's the first scan result that ever mentioned it! That doctor, my oncologist who follows me because I had breast cancer, makes sure I get chest scans along with the abdominal ones my urologist orders, so she can keep an eye on my lungs. But the nodules are stable, and she says most people accumulate lung crud and other things during their life, but they don't know about it until they start getting scans. I also have an enlarged spleen, diverticul-(whichever one isn't actively a problem), a fatty liver, enlarged lymph nodes that are fairly stable, two aneurysms, lots of crumbling bits on my spine and joints, and a huge umbilical hernia. Everything but a partridge in a pear tree! I only knew about the hernia and arthritis before I started getting regular scans almost four years ago. I look at my scan results now with curiosity to see what the reading radiologist mentions, or if it's something I hadn't heard about before. If it's something not mentioned that was on a previous report, I ask if it went away on its own, but no, it's just different radiologists.

So it's good to be aware of the nodules, but don't freak out over them unless your doctor says to.

• tgpath1
    Options

Thank you so much...that does make me feel better! I'll wait and see what my doc says and then see if they are mentioned in future scans. As everyone here knows, it's really hard not to worry when you see something new! But you have helped ease my anxiety so thank you! Praying that you stay NED and no new findings to add to that partridge in a pear tree...LOL

• Mmoses25
    Mmoses25 Member Posts: 321 Member
    Options

I think you will just be fine I also get scans in morning and meet with doctor and afternoon

praying for good news

• donna_lee
    donna_lee Member Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options

Because you are in the follow-up mode, whomever reads the CT is going to be more thorough (we hope) and call attention to what is seen. That way, there is a reference point/mark/or something to compare to later.

You wouldn't believe the stuff they have found inside me in the past 15 years. Sometimes it was nothing-just a "wait and see", sometimes I had to have further tests, (US, nuclear thyroid scan, and even a biopsy) to rule out bad stuff.

Ask your Dr. at your next appointment what the notation means.

Heck, I even had one of the Dr's who read the most recent scan state that I had an appendix, which I know was removed in 1987.

Good Wishes to all.

• Allochka
    Allochka Member Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options

It can result in a lot of worry, yes… My husband has things “pop up” on scans which were not previously mentioned, but when old scans were checked, these thing were always there. All benign

One very good experienced radiologist once explained me when I asked about this - there is no consensus/standard among radiologists whether they should mention all clearly benign things of no clinical significance in their descriptions. That is why, when talking about benign things, they appear and disappear in radiologists texts. Some mention them, some not.

this is the situation with your nodules. As it is said “nodules are stable” it means that the scan was compared to previous one and no change was noted. No change is good. And previous radiologist most probably simply hasn’t bothered to list obviously harmless nodules in the description