New here-my mother diagnosed with stage 4 Colon cancer

Options
Tm16
Tm16 Member Posts: 3 Member

Hi all,

I am new to this network and seeking advise on next steps of therapy for my mother(60 years old) who was diagnosed with colon cancer back in September 2021. Unfortunately it has spread to the liver and since there are 8 liver mets and because of the locations the doctors think they are inoperable at this point. Since early October she has been taking systemic chemotherapy and the first scans show that there is a reduction in the size of some of the liver tumors.

Upon reading more about treatment options, I found out that Hepatic Arterial Infusion(HAI) yields significantly better chemo delivery directly to the liver and hence better outcome. Unfortunately it is not available in Georgia where we live and only about two places (Duke and MD Anderson) offer it in the southern region of the country. We have visited Duke and discussed with oncologists there who were hesitant due to a preexisting Parkinson's Disease diagnosis, but nonetheless told us to check back after 6 months of systemic chemo. Ideally we want to pursue the MD Anderson option because we have family in Houston that can help with transportation and stay, however I found out that MD Anderson doesn't accept any Obamacare insurance coverage. Is there anyone with similar experience that can shed light on how to get access to MD Anderson as well as what other treatment options worked?

We are desperate to have my mom better. She has lived for others all her life and is the most selfless and kind hearted person. This has been a devastating and difficult journey for us.

Thank you for all your input.

Comments