Not sure of what type of cancer I have

Whoops
Whoops Member Posts: 2 Member

Hi All, I had a fast growing lesion on my left upper arm that I discovered at the end of September 2021. By Mid November what had been a flat, small, slightly raised area slightly larger than a pencil eraser in diameter was a 5 x 4 cm 2 cm high lesion with a baseball sized area under the skin.

The initial punch biopsy came back as: PLEOMORPHIC MALIGNANT NEOPLASM, most suggestive of a poorly-differentiated squamous cell carcinoma.

After the tumor was excised, the pathlogy result was: UNDIFFERENTIATED EPITHELIOID MALIGNANT NEOPLASM HIGH-GRADE

PET scan showed involvement of lymph nodes, and T-11 vertebra ad Left intertrochantic femur.

So, a stage 4 cancer of some type. My surgical oncologist has referred me to a medical oncologist, and I am still waiting to see her. I have also initiated a process for an online review at Stanford Medical Center via their Grand Rounds.

I am curious is anyone else has had these types of results initially, and what determination was eventually made.

I think it is fair to say I am scared to death....

Comments

• Blessed812
    Blessed812 Member Posts: 4 Member

Hello

I was diagnosed with cancer June 2021. When the doctor did my biopsy the diagnosis was high-grade serous caecinoma. I found out I had stage 4 ovarian cancer :( . My treatment consisted of three rounds of chemotherapy. Afterwards I had a hysterectomy removal of my ovaries and uterus. The cancer also spread to my spleen and that also had to get removed. ( keep in mind I dont have children so this was a difficult thing to do). After surgery three more rounds of chemotherapy. Recently I had laparoscopic surgery to see if there are no more tumor markers. I am going to start this medication to prevent the cancer from returning and spreading. I know I am not that far along but I feel so hopeful and blessed that my cancer is going away. I feel great!!! I wish you many blessing. I will pray for healing and always remember God is by your side, He is the best doctor.

• po18guy
    po18guy Member Posts: 1,465 Member
    edited January 2022 #3

There are quite a few cancers of unknown primary (CUP). Since it may be difficult to treat, I can only recommend that if you are in the US, to consider consulting at a National Cancer Institute designated comprehensive cancer center. They have cutting edge technology, conduct research (i.e. clinical trials) and employ the best and brightest. I would not be here had I not gone to such a facility. If interested, find the nearest center here: https://www.cancer.gov/research/infrastructure/cancer-centers/find

• Whoops
    Whoops Member Posts: 2 Member

Thank you, I will look into this. I think I had been operating under the assumption my providers were pretty confident this was a squamous or basal- but there seem to be differing opinions.

• po18guy
    po18guy Member Posts: 1,465 Member

You are welcome. For a fact, doctors treat whatever pathologists tell them is wrong. Therefore, pathology is crucial. The largest, most experienced pathology labs will give you the best chance at a definitive diagnosis. Pathology can be as much an art as a science, so what you want to look for in a pathologist might be an artist. Those wil most likely be found at an NCI center. All the best to you.