• PrisPeck
    PrisPeck Member Posts: 10 Member
    Options

interesting

• KAC07062021
    KAC07062021 Member Posts: 26 Member
    edited February 2022 #47
    Options

2 steps forward, 1 step back. Tomorrow will be a better day.

• Lyn70
    Lyn70 Member Posts: 214 Member
    Options

Kelly,

Please research the 4th Angel Mentoring program started by Scott Hamilton in Ohio at the Cleveland Cancer Center. I obtained a mentor from this program and we correspond regularly via email. She was a stage IVA uterine and I was IIIA uterine. We discuss each others dx, treatment history, checkup status and just general gab. I look forward to seeing her in my inbox! The program has been wonderful for me. ((Hugs))

• KAC07062021
    Options
  • United92
    United92 Member Posts: 2 Member
    Options

After reading this thread, you are truly an inspiration and have an incredible spirit! Not sure I qualify as a mentor, but happy to share my journey as a caregiver. My wife was diagnosed with stage IVB uLMS at the age of 60 in December 2020 after having a hysterectomy for what was believed to be multiple fibroids in her uterus. So not quite a young adult like yourself, but certainly young enough and healthy enough to be shocked by the diagnosis! After biopsy confirmed metastatic disease in her lungs, she survived six INCREDIBLY brutal cycles of gemzar/taxotere in the spring of 2021 with a mixed response and just started at least three cycles of doxorubicin in January 2022.

We do not know what the future holds, but one lesson we have learned is that we want to live in and for the moment and we do thank God each morning for giving us another day together. The “journey” over the past year has certainly been the most challenging journey of our lives. The strength, courage, and faith my wife has displayed is nothing short of awesome. While a challenging journey, miraculously, our faith and love for each other has grown immensely.

In terms of your question on what she has done with her time, since the first half of the year was spent in chemotherapy with all of the known side effects (yep, she had severe allergic reactions, extreme fatigue, swelled up like the Michelin Man, neuropathy, chemo brain, bone pain, lost all hair, etc), she spent the second half of the year recovering and regaining strength. We did find the time to plan and take a couple of long-weekend roadtrips in the fall. You had mentioned acupuncture and chiropractor... my wife has found great relief through oncological massage therapy.

You also asked about disability. If you have not pursued this, the Social Security Administration offers what is known as the “Compassionate Allowances” initiative to fast-track the approval process for receiving disability benefits... uLMS definitely is on this list.

Positive thoughts and prayers going to you and your family. God Bless.

• KAC07062021
    Options

I'll check out the Compassionate Allowances on the Social Security Disability. I'm glad I'm an inspiration to you and your wife. I wish Brest Of Success to your wife on get journey. Thank you for sharing and trees, this Community on here has been such a support. 💜🙌🙏

• Lyn70
    Options

United92,

My prayers for your wife and yourself and for a good response to the doxorubicin. I took that same chemo drug along with Vincristine and Rituxin for a previous Non Hodgkin's Lymphoma dx at age 63. I have read of other ladies on this site with lung mets on doxorubin. Perhaps they will reach out to you both.

• cmb
    cmb Member Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options

United92,

I'm sorry to read about the struggles your wife has gone through with her cancer treatment. I had a different form of uterine cancer (carcinosarcoma), but one that also contained sarcoma cells in addition to the more common carcinoma cells.

To address both types of cells, my oncologist delivered four different types of chemo in two phases. The second phase included Ifosfamide and Doxorubicin. You can click on my user name to read more about my treatment.

I will admit that I found this second chemo phase much harder than the first. Whether it was the Ifosfamide or the Doxorubicin (or both) I don't know, but I had far worse symptoms this second phase. I needed extra fluids and antiemetics the week after those infusions just to have some basic functionality.

But I recovered pretty quickly after treatment ended and I didn't suffer any of the more drastic side effects both of those drugs are known for.

My treatment has kept me recurrence free from a very aggressive type of uterine cancer for the past 4.5 years. I dearly hope that your wife achieves the same success with the new treatment.

I'm sure she's very thankful to have you by her side as she goes through this awful period.

• United92
    United92 Member Posts: 2 Member
    Options

KAC07062021/Lyn70/cmb,

Thank you all for the well wishes. I was moved to post because of the strength, courage, and incredible spirit KAC0762021 has shown in the short time of starting this thread.

While it appears there are those that have an affinity for cats on this board, I must say our dog Scout has been the most loyal and loving companion to my wife that anyone could ask for!

Continued prayers.

• Lyn70
    Options

United92,

God Bless you, Scout for keeping your Mom comfy and warm with snuggles when she needs them!

Prayers tonight