Roll call

mokus
mokus Member Posts: 63 Member

I just returned from my 6 year annual check up. Still all clear. I think my ENT was surprised I still exist

Comments

• CivilMatt
    CivilMatt Member Posts: 4,724 Member

Andrewp16nose,

This is CivilMatt from your favorite H&N forum website, i.e., ROLL CALL 2022. how are things in New Zealand or wear ever you “hang-your-hat” today. If you are up to it, I would like you to stop by the site and update your profile to let us know how you are doing. If I have sent this invitation to you in error, then I am sorry and I apologize for disturbing you.

CivilMatt

• AnotherSurvivor
    AnotherSurvivor Member Posts: 383 Member

What means 'six years'? How long do you guys go? I'm in the US and was told don't come back after five.

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,451 Member

As far as treatment and follow up always go by your doctor's recommendations. If they say they don't want to see you after you reach the 5-year mark then follow that recommendation. 5 years has been the standard I would say. They feel you are pretty safe at that point and considered cured I think. As far as the roll call goes come back and let us know how you are doing every year or anytime it is posted.

Take Care-God Bless-Russ

• CivilMatt
    CivilMatt Member Posts: 4,724 Member

Anothersurvivor,

Yes, 5 years of NED seems to be the “gold standard” for moving a person into the cured category. The timeline may be partially based on the cut-off of the insurance after 5 years. If a person wants to see their ENT again, it is best to tell them you have some concern about some aspect of your former condition and there you go.

CM

• ERomanO
    ERomanO Member Posts: 323 Member
    edited January 2022 #6

My next follow-up in the spring will be my 4th anniversary. After that I'll alternate seeing 2 nurse practitioners one year, then one nurse practitioner and my ENT the next year, for 6 more years. After that they let me go, never to return unless I have a problem.

• Stephie75
    Stephie75 Member Posts: 185 Member

Mokus,

Wow, congrats to you and good news! Happy Dance! Go out and celebrate eating a great meal somewhere! 😎

The 5 year checkup being the last surprises me. I'm surprised they don't move it to every 2-3 years after that or something. Makes you wonder how people find it at 6,7,8 years quite often when it can literally show up anywhere. I guess we are all hyperaware about things after having cancer.

Onward!

Steph