Second go with Head and Neck Squamus Cell Carcinoma---Things going sideways

MJG1
MJG1 Member Posts: 137 Member

This is the story of a man (my sweet hubby) with P-14 Squamous Cell Carcinoma of the Head and Neck from 2016 and TWO new cancers on the opposite side (tongue and throat) in 2021. My husband went through 8 weeks of weekely abraxane and cisplatin followed by 7 weeks of daily radiation and cisplatin. He responded and recovered from this horriffic treatment side effects. Fast forward to 2021..He was diagnosed with tongue cancer on the other side from previous cancer. We wondered if it was caused by previous radiation. Then when a pet scan was done a back of throat tumor was also found. He was put on a study consisting of two chemos and two immunotherapy drugs. One of the immunotherapy drugs has not been approved yet for use on cancer. One round and scans showed the tongue tumor had disappeared and the throat tumor had doubled in size. That study was terminated for him. New study started the following week. It was Abraxane and Opdivo. It was evident from the beginning it was working on the throat tumor as the pain disappated. However, the tongue began to be more painful again. Turns out that tumor grew...So now he was taken off that study and will be getting radiation only 2 times a day two days in a row every month for 3 months. At the very beginning of this round of cancer we were told he was radiated out for the rest of his life so was not candidate for radiation. Guess that isn't true since he will be getting some limited radiation. The chemo oncologist does not have a plan in place for 3 months from now.Anyone out here have a similar story? I'd love someone to share.

Comments

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,451 Member
    edited January 2022 #2

I don't have a similar story but I was wondering why they can't apply the immunotherapies that were getting rid of the throat tumor and the tumor at the tongue and apply them together? it looks as if they were used separately and worked for him but maybe they can't be used together. I am sure you folks are on an emotional roller coaster as soon as you get something that works in one area the other area gets out of control and you have to stop treatment and switch and the same thing happens again when therapies are switched and now radiation when they said he was at his max. My guess is your doctors may be giving radiation to keep the tumors in check till they come up with a better plan, ask them.

Take Care-God Bless-Russ

• MJG1
    MJG1 Member Posts: 137 Member

Actually, that's a great question, however, study #1 consisted of two immunotherapy drugs and two chemos...How do we decide which one was working for the tongue? Then Study #2 consisted of a different chemo and immunotherapy drug and we know at least the throat was improving, but then it's a study so nothing else can be added when it's a study because of their rules. I hoped they would keep him on the study and just add a radiation treatment to it, but that wasn't how they could do it. So here we are!!