Post-nephrectomy, esp. for those who have been there

Options
sdjeugene
sdjeugene Member Posts: 9 Member

A major concern I have about a pending radical nephrectomy (R kidney) is comfort and safety when I get home after the surgery. I’m 70 and live alone now. If the procedure is laparo, I anticipate an overnight stay in the hospital and then home. From your experience(s), do you think I’d be okay on my own? I’m thinking, though, that I should arrange for some kind of in-home care. I’m not sure (1) just what activities I might need help with nor (2) for how long I might need it.

Also, if others have needed in-home care, how did you go about finding a qualified provider? Would the doctor (or his practice) help with this, or the hospital where the surgery will be performed, or...? (Online reviews and adverts clearly aren’t reliable sources.)

I’m doing all I can to prepare for the surgery. During the surgery itself, well, I don’t exactly have to do much. Once I’m home, though, what do you think I should know about taking care of myself (on my own or with professional assistance)?

Many thanks.

Comments

• AliceB1950
    AliceB1950 Member Posts: 238 Member
    Options

I was in my late 60s when I had my laparoscopic nephrectomy, so of a similar age. The main thing is to have sleeping arrangements that will be comfortable and easy to get up from. Many people recommend recliners for sleeping, but I think they'd need an automatic upright button since the lever type puts a lot of stress on the body. I used a futon in sofa mode. I sat in several to make sure it would be high enough and not have too much slant backward in the seating, before buying one. I used several pillows to build a nest since stretching out all the way is uncomfortable. It also kept me from turning onto the surgical side. Sitting up and getting up was tricky the first few days, but doable. Just expect to move more slowly than usual at first - so plan toilet use before you think you'll need it. I wore knit pants around the house, and things like stretch denim or twill pants for going out (my surgery was before Covid). A pair of men's overalls would have been ideal. I found that a soft, suede-covered sponge between the incision area and my pants added to my comfort. The two big things are walking and drinking plenty of water! I mostly walked around my house at first, but I was doing slow hikes in local parks the next week. Really, you might need intermittent help for about two or three days if you plan ahead and have your belongings arranged so you don't have to reach or bend too much the first few days. I had a reacher and long shoehorn left from when I'd had a hip replacement years before, and I used them a lot. I didn't feel like eating much the first few days, so that's a good time to have something like canned soup or ramen available, easy to prepare and eat, and comforting. Most doctors don't want you to drive too soon, definitely not if you're on heavy-duty painkillers (some people need them, some are fine with OTC meds), but also a lot of movements when driving can pull the incisions. Good luck!

• okk
    okk Member Posts: 7 Member
    Options

I'm a bit younger than both you and Alice but I agree with all she says above. I spent 1 night in hospital after a lapo radical nephrectomy, slept on my recliner first night home but then into bed the next night. You just have to manage the stomach muscles and roll rather than try to tuck or crunch. Oh yea, when I had to pee and had to go NOW, lol. Not enough muscle strength to hold it in for long, ha. Have some meals prepared in advance so that you can just heat them up, and bring on the Netflix! :) I was up and walking around the house slowly but easily, and out in the neighbourhood a couple days later. Best of luck to you!

o-k-k (one kidney Karen -- my daughter's new name for me)

• stub1969
    stub1969 Member Posts: 966 Member
    Options

I was a bit younger (46) when I had my surgery. I was a recliner person--as Alice talks about in her post--and slept in the recliner for a couple of nights. As far as caring for yourself, I think you'll be okay with proper planning. **disclaimer**I'm assuming you're not dealing with other medical issues that would inhibit you from getting up on your own and moving around on your own. If you are then you'll have to make a judgment call about your post-operation care.

Plan on a couple of days with limited movement. You'll definitely want to walk around every half-hour to every hour. The distance will be determined by listening to your body. After the 3-5 days, you'll be up and moving pretty well.

Good luck!

Stub