Waiting times

Options
megs7014
megs7014 Member Posts: 10 Member

Hi alll. I live in the UK. my mom was first diagnosed on nov 24th with innumerable liver nets and a 3cm mass in ascending colon. Everything I read from people in the us, seems that people newly diagnosed gets treatment quite fast compared to the uk. My worry is can they cancer spread further in a month?

we are still waiting for a biopsy appointment to talk about the results and then hopefully start treatment. I’m unsure how long these things should take but this doesn’t seem safe. Can anyone shed some light?

Comments

• vivgrl
    vivgrl Member Posts: 34 Member
    Options

Based on my experience as a colon cancer patient, oncologists want to start treating the cancer ASAP. A doctor told me that 3 months in connection with cancer is considered a very long time.

I was initially diagnosed based on CT and MRI scans. I then had to schedule an appointment for a sigmoidoscopy so the tumor could be biopsied and the diagnosis confirmed. It was my responsibility to schedule the appointment. I was wracked with pain and on the phone begging for the earliest appointment. I owe my life to the scheduler who squeezed me in within the week (two weeks before I would have otherwise been seen).

I was not allowed to confer with an oncologist until the results of the sigmoidoscopy were in (which was immediate). With my diagnosis confirmed, I was afraid to wait any longer. I could not eat, had lost significant weight, and was in severe pain. I unilaterally contacted a surgeon who reviewed my scans and told me that my colon was on the verge of rupturing and I had to go on a liquid diet immediately and have a colostomy. This information got me into the oncologist within 24 hours (an otherwise two week wait again) and I had surgery (a colostomy) within 48 hours. So, in my situation, taking the initiative and moving quickly was everything.

But everyone's situation is different. With that said, a wait of over one month (just to discuss the biopsy results and start treatment) seems very long to me. In my situation, if I had not pushed, I would have met with the oncologist within 2 weeks of the sigmoidoscopy. My treatment began immediately after my recovery from surgery and there was concern about not waiting any longer than necessary. I hope that helps.

• megs7014
    megs7014 Member Posts: 10 Member
    Options

Thank you for your answer. She had the biopsy on the 14th. We got the confirmation it was cancer but waiting for the appointment to speak in person about the results. The colon mass is so far not causing obstruction as bowel movements seem to be normal but I was worried about the mets to the liver as I don’t know how fast they grow. Sorry to hear about your situation but it’s great it’s moving quick. She got her suspected diagnosis on 24th nov so in total just over a month