Recently had surgery

Options

I had a radical hysterectomy on November 24 with many complications. After surgery I was bleeding internally and had to have another operation to stop the bleeding. I also ended up with nerve damage to my left food (hopefully not permanent) but is still quite painful, plus my bladder is now not working and I have to self catherize. I've been diagnosed with Stage 2 Serous Carcinoma of the uterus and cervix, and they are recommending chemo and radiation. I have an appointment with the radiation oncologist on Jan 5. I'm concerned about any treatment right now because I'm still healing from the operation and in a lot of discomfort. How long can we safely wait before beginning treatment?

Comments

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options

Dear Summertime!!! Oh my what you have been through!

I hope you are working with a gynecologic oncologist. Chemo and radiation are pretty standard for Stage 2 Serous Carcinoma. However, neuropathy is not uncommon with chemo so don't hesitate to bring it up. Listen to what their plan is and don't be afraid to voice your concerns and ask questions. Hopefully someone who is a good note-taker can go with you as it is all a little much.

cmb had lots of good tips posted at the top of this board. I am sure others will be along soon to lend their support, but please be sure to let us know your plan.

• MoeKay
    MoeKay Member Posts: 477 Member
    Options

Welcome, Summertime! I'm very sorry to hear about the multiple issues you've experienced since your surgery. I think the radiation oncologist you'll be seeing on Jan. 5th will be able to answer your question on the optimal timeframe for starting radiation. I began my external radiation approximately six weeks after my radical hysterectomy, but the only surgical complication I experienced was a head-to-toe rash on my body, after which my skin peeled off, and I had recovered by the six-week mark. I had five weeks of daily external radiation treatments and then had a week off before I had my internal radiation, which was done in the hospital in isolation. That was in 1999, and internal radiation is now done on an outpatient basis. I think some of the factors the answer to your question might take into account would be the type of radiation you will be having and what effect the radiation would have on any post-surgical issues you are still experiencing.

I did not have chemo, but I assume you will be able to get a similar answer on the timing of your treatment from the oncologist who will be overseeing your chemotherapy.

I hope your surgical complications dramatically improve by the time of your upcoming appointment with the radiation oncologist.

Wishing you the best.

• Summertime01
    Summertime01 Member Posts: 3 Member
    Options

Does anyone know anything about CBD oil in the treatment of cancer. I've heard that some people choose to try this before agreeing to chemo and radiation. Would love to hear if anyone has any experience with this or knows of someone who chose this route.

• Harmanygroves
    Harmanygroves Member Posts: 486 Member
    Options

I would only use CBD oil to relieve anxiety, myself. I know standard treatments (surgery, radiation, chemo) are nothing to be glad about, but they work so much of the time. I go with western medicine for cancer treatments, myself. I know that women here with serous will speak up. It is a more aggressive cancer than what I have. Again, I only use CBD for anxiety, and it has to be severe (as in first six months after diagnosis, when I was routinely a basket case).

• cmb
    cmb Member Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options

A number of women here have used CBD to help with their cancer symptoms or treatment side effects, as Harmanygroves described. From what I've read, research into CBD to prevent cancer cell growth is still in the early stages with no proven conclusions.

I also had an aggressive form of uterine cancer and my doctor told me that it was very important to treat this cancer aggressively right from the start to minimize the likelihood of a recurrence. I followed their advice and, so far, I haven't had a recurrence.

• BluebirdOne
    BluebirdOne Member Posts: 656 Member
    Options

CBD oil is not a known treatment for cancer. As others have stated, it might help with the side effects of treatment but it is not an approved treatment. As an analogy, if you presented to your doctors with a ruptured appendix you would have surgery to treat it, antibiotics to make sure you did not become septic. If you chose to add CBD oil to help with pain or anxiety ok, but CBD oil would do nothing to get rid of the infection of a burst appendix.

With stage 2 serous, your best chance at beating the cancer is surgery, chemo, and radiation, done as soon as possible as it is an aggressive cancer. If you need more medical help and support than you are getting from your current team, perhaps seek a 2nd opinion from a large cancer center who can at least confirm the course of your planned treatment is current and appropriate. I had a 2nd opinion from Mayo and never regretted it. I was diagnosed with 1a UPSC, with LVSI, I opted for chemo and radiation as soon as I was healed. Good luck to you.

• LisaPizza
    LisaPizza Member Posts: 358 Member
    Options

The problem with "trying CBD first" is that the only way to know it has failed is to have a recurrence, which unless it's local, is now incurable. You've lost your curative window "trying" something else first. If one is already incurable, and reasonably stable, there's less to lose by trying something alternative.

• Summertime01
    Summertime01 Member Posts: 3 Member
    Options

I appreciate everyone's comments and advice regarding the CBC oil dilemma. I'm seeing a radiation oncologist on January 5. I have a lot of questions for him. I just wish the treatment wasn't so hard on our bodies.

• Harmanygroves
    Harmanygroves Member Posts: 486 Member
    Options

I had my last radiation treatment in July, and I'm feeling great now. Some days I like using some CBD just to calm things down, as I'm a very tightly wound person. When considering caring for your body, I think it's great to add certain "extras" as you're going through treatments. Massage, acupuncture, spinach smoothies....there's no reason you can't be good to your body during the hard stuff such as radiation and chemo. I'll add that if there were an easier and "as effective" way to treat cancer, we'd all be doing it. We're all here for you.