Nasopharyngeal Cancer Recurrence

Options
Bay Area Guy
Bay Area Guy Member Posts: 618 Member

Hi. I’m a resident of the kidney cancer board, but I’m here for my brother-in-law. He was diagnosed and treated for stage 4A nasopharyngeal cancer in 2009-10. His treatment was targeted radiation five times a week and chemo (not sure of the drug) once a month. Both lasted three months and he has been cancer free since. He called today that at the latest ENT appointment, they found something in that area and he’ll be getting an MRI Friday afternoon. I have a few questions and I have always stayed away from Dr Google since, during my bout with kidney cancer, I found hugely conflicting information.

So, how likely is it that this form recurs after 11+ years of no evidence of disease?

Has the treatment protocol changed at all in those intervening years?

Are their surgical approaches or drug therapies available that were not even conceived of back then?

Thanks for any information you can provide.

Comments

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,294 Member
    Options

Although not familiar personally with this exact type of cancer.

Is recurrence common? I would not think it is a common thing and happens a lot considering effective treatments today and even when he had them done. I have not heard of recurrences being more for one cancer or another and I think a lot of that just depends on your genes other than shoddy treatment where they miss cancer cells and if that would be the case he would have had an issue sooner than 11 years out. I think in his case if there is cancer it may just be new cancer not necessarily a recurrence but could be either.

I don't know if treatment would vary except there are probably some new machines and techniques available that were not some 11 years ago when he had cancer. I think they would approach it with all options open but certainly, his previous treatment would be a factor. Such as radiation in the same area twice I don't think they like to do it and the reason is it just increases fibrosis and makes everything stiffer and less flexible. I had radiation twice but not exactly in the same area but both times in the H&N area.

I would say since his last time treated there are big improvements in drugs and surgery and radiation such as Proton which is much more accurate and focused, damaging much less surrounding tissue. I don't think there is what you call a gold standard for treating recurrence although I could be wrong but I think it would be approached on a case-by-case basis taking into account any previous treatments and what they were such as the amount and strength of chemo and or rads.

Here again, what I am giving you is a lot of ideas and opinions based on my experience and reading this forum, and going to our local campus support group meetings. So this is just my take on it.

• Bay Area Guy
    Bay Area Guy Member Posts: 618 Member
    Options

Just got a call from him after a follow-up with his ENT. He had the MRI Friday and the results show no malignancy. Thank God. They said it’s either a nasal polyp or a malformed blood vessel. They’re going to leave it for now, but monitor it every couple of months.

Thanks to everyone who shared information. It was very enlightening. Our kidney board is mostly surgery, though there are some folks receiving targeted therapies, so going to a board where surgery is not the norm has been a big switch.

Again, thank you.

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,294 Member
    Options

Amen and thank God what a Blessing and Relief.

Take Care-God Bless-Russ

• LitlCJdoll
    LitlCJdoll Member Posts: 245 Member
    Options

Great to read this tonight !! I know you are very relieved!

• motorcycleguy
    motorcycleguy Member Posts: 478 Member
    Options

Bay Area Guy,

Well, I was NPC - so I'm certainly glad to read your brother's story; thanks for sharing!

MG