Concerned about a 2 cm kidney mass

Options
2»

Comments

• Shecka1121
    Shecka1121 Member Posts: 117 Member
    Options

Hi Bill, I was in a very similar situation as you. Almost identical. That was 6 years ago. I was diagnosed in April and my surgery was in June. My tumor did not grow during that time. It was 1.2 cm - t1a, grade 2. It has been six years and I am doing very well. No further incidents other than the items they find on scans that they have to look further into that always turn out to be nothing :) Part of the process.

You got this!

• concernedBill
    concernedBill Member Posts: 15 Member
    Options

Hi "Shecka1121",

Thanks for sharing your experience/journey and for the words of encouragement! Of course, great to hear you are doing very!!

• concernedBill
    Options

Hi again everyone,

After a few moths dealing with the kidney, unfortunately it was (after two biopsies) finally confirmed that my renal mass is indeed a ccRCC (2.8 cm x 2.6 cm x 2.9 cm). I somewhat assumed it would be malignant although the need for a second biopsy also provided me some hope that it may be (albeit, a small hope) benign. In any case, the tumor is in the middle of the kidney and thus I will have the entire kidney removed. Im currently scheduled for a bone scan, another CT scan, and lung x-ray. I was told this is routine prior to surgery. I realize scans will be with me for the next few years at least but I am rather concerned with the radiation exposure i have already received (original stomach/pelvic CT scan, and then CT scans for both biopsies) and will receive (bone scan, chest x-ray, CT scan prior to surgery let alone follow up). Am I over-reacting to this? How does everyone else feel about the radiation exposure?

Thanks!

• concernedBill
    Options

Hi "Bay Area Guy",

I just realized that I didn't respond to your post so first off thank you for sharing your experience and your advice - couldn't agree more with you on Dr. Google although despite knowing that myself, I see to keep falling back to it (would love to grow the hair on my head back too lol). In any case, good to hear your prognosis and that your doing well! All the best to you!

• Deanie0916
    Deanie0916 Member Posts: 616 Member
    Options

Hi Bill just want to agree with the other posts here. There are so many who are doing good after having a kidney removed. I have regular scans. I'm not too worried about excess radiation, I guess I'd rather have them find something with radiation than not? That's my take on it anyway. All the best to you please keep us updated!

• AliceB1950
    AliceB1950 Member Posts: 238 Member
    Options

I know some patients with a different kind of cancer who get scans every month or so. They're doing okay with it. Just remember when you have CTs with contrast to drink lots of water afterwards to flush it through your system. The year I had my nephrectomy, I had a no-contast chest CT as a pre-op work-up before having surgery for breast cancer. That's when the kidney cancer was found. So before I saw the urologist, I had a chest-abdomen-pelvis contrast CT plus a bone scan. Then a month after I had the nephrectomy, I had my mapping CT for breast cancer radiation, which was 33 sessions. After I finished all that, I had a 3-month contrast CT of chest, abdomen, and pelvis (I'd had endometrial cancer about ten years before, so I get pretty thorough scans). I had three more follow-up scans in 2019, and two each in 2020 and 2021. Now I'm down to one a year. I still don't glow in the dark! Some doctors will alternate CTs and ultrasounds for the follow-up, so see if yours will do that if you're wanting fewer scans. Since I'm kind of a cancer magnet and I had a high grade kidney cancer, I get CTs each time for the detail - I've also had a few PET scans along the way. I try to look at them as an opportunity to nap.

• concernedBill
    Options

Thanks Deanie! I do agree that it is better to find something with radiation than not having it done!! Will definitely keep you all updated on this...

• concernedBill
    Options

Thanks for sharing your experience Alice and thanks for the advice to drink water after a contrast CT - I will do that! All the best!