28 Female Thickened Endometrium

I have a few questions regarding thickened endometrium. I am 28 years old, mother of 2, obese, had juvenile diabetes. Following some issues, i had a transV ultrasound which noted....

a 21.1 mm Endometrium and atleast two 2.1mm cysts in the endometrium. The results are clear in stating that my ovaries look great.

What are experiences in this case. Is this likely cancer? I am scheduled for a DNC and Hysteroscopy for 01/26/22 which feels like FOREVER away.

Comments

• cmb
    cmb Member Posts: 1,001 Member

Only a small percentage of women with your symptoms actually have cancer. Of course, it seems different here because those of us who stick around did learn that they or a loved one have cancer.

But I'm glad that you'll be having the D&C/hysteroscopy. When I first had vaginal bleeding years ago, the D&C/hysteroscopy found a benign polyp that, once removed, took care of the bleeding. While I wasn't as lucky the second time I had vaginal bleeding, the D&C/hysteroscopy pinpointed the type of uterine cancer I had so the doctor could plan the next steps accordingly.

Not all the women here have gone right to the D&C/hysteroscopy after the ultrasound, which can prolong the investigation process. I know that a month seems like a long-time to wait to get a definitive answer, but try to keep busy with other things in the meantime. Keep in mind that the chances are good that you don't have cancer.

• Harmanygroves
    Harmanygroves Member Posts: 486 Member

CMB's advice is excellent. We have many women who come here with signs or symptoms who end up without cancer, and that's great news. Definitely keep yourself busy doing things you enjoy, or check in here if you feel anxious. Most who "stay" here are those who do have cancer, so we are a very skewed sampling. Keep us in the loop!

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,360 Member

bcurl, it is very scary to be young and be concerned you may have cancer. You have a few other things going on, but I am only going to add this here for everyone else who may visit. You mentioned that you are obese, and that is considered a contributing factor to cancer on a whole by the medical community in the article below. There are a lot of people who don't realize this, and just a reminder to all of us.

As cmb stated, it is not uncommon for it to be nothing, and I am sure it is very difficult with managing diabetes. Hugs dear. Please let us know how it goes. Waiting is very hard.

https://www.mdanderson.org/publications/focused-on-health/how-does-obesity-cause-cancer.h27Z1591413.html

• BluebirdOne
    BluebirdOne Member Posts: 656 Member

Welcome, bcurl,

The best thing I read about your post is that your doctors are proceeding to a D&C with hysteroscopy. The wait is hard, but be comforted that your doctors are proactive and want to figure this out. We are here for you if you need to talk or need more support. Distracting yourself actually worked for me at least in the short term, even though it seems like a simplistic suggestion. Let us know how you are doing!

xxoo

Denise

• bcurl71193
    bcurl71193 Member Posts: 2 Member

My symptoms are pain that doubles me over and makes me physically ill, the week before, week of, and even week after menstruation. I use a super tampon every 1-2 hours bleed thru…mind you’ve I’ve always bled heavily and had strong cramps. Menstruation started at like 10-11 years

I was glad to see my ovaries are perfect, which I’ve had ovarian cysts before, but at the time of the ultrasound did not. . Just a 21.1mm endometrium and atleast two 2.1mm cysts that showed in the endometrium….

I think it’s scariest because of being a young single mother. But also because I can’t find research anywhere about women of child bearing age dealing with this. All the research is for post menopausal women, and the 21.1mm would be nearly guaranteed cancer if I were post menopausal. I’m optimistic but frightened.

cancer runs in my family heavily.