Easy way to get more protein!

Options
Stephie75
Stephie75 Member Posts: 185 Member
edited December 2021 in Head and Neck Cancer #1

I don't know if it's been mentioned on here. It probably has, but my search yielded no results. I would like to bring it up in the event it has not, or as a reminder. WE need protein and many people need to gain weight!

(I'll just use Orgain powder as an example here, there are many with more calories)

10 oz of FAGE yogurt has 30g of protein - 167 cal (you'll need more or it will turn out too thick with 1 scoop)

Orgain 1 scoop only 10.5 Gram's of protein - 75 Cal - Which is 1/2 serving.

Total: 242 Calories (these can be EASILY taken up with a higher calorie protein power or other tricks)

Total: 40.5 Protein - This is the cool part.

That yogurt has a LOT more protein than milk will give you.

That's a lot of protein before anything else is added, and if you want it a bit thicker, add more Orgain, or anything else you desire. If you are good on chewing, add nuts, (Cashews, anyone?) :)

I have been creative with Greek Yogurt since it came out. I like FAGE the most as it is not as bitter to me and it's quite creamy, and the more fat % you purchase, the creamier it is (It comes in 0%, 2%, and 5%). I purchase the large containers of it and keep it at all times around the house. I substitute it for quite a few things.

You can freeze it (I sometimes do when it's BOGO, but it changes the texture, so you really DO have to mix it for it to taste decent) It's not cheap, so if you end up using it, it's worth it to freeze it if you are using it for your protein needs.

You can make all kinds of things with it, and I have been for years. It's a lot healthier for you than cream cheese for example, so I've used to make Cheesecake with it. There are a ton of recipes online and ideas.

Chocolate deserts are very easy and quick, Just one quick desert example that isn't chocolate:

You can add instant pudding to it and make a quick desert. For example, if you like banana pudding, you could mix banana pudding with FAGE yogurt. I just eye the thickness of it. Then throw the banana in there and add cool whip on top, or a healthier whipped topping, even add vanilla wafers. (remember you can always use sugar free on the cool whip, pudding, vanilla wafers if you like)

If anyone finds this helpful and would like to know more of the crazy things I've made with it over the years, let me know on this post and I can make some time to put together a CSN Greek Yogurt Cook Book for us on here.

Russ had made a post about thickening food due to aspirating (I commented something else due to the fact my speech therapist had said the opposite, when I see her next I am going to run that question by her. Actually - I will ask at my appointment with my Oncologist Wednesday, Russ - if you want to - you can copy this over there. But this came to my mind for people whole can swallow things thicker than just liquid, but a more pudding consistency... You can make this as thin or thick as you want with whatever you want, really.

Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend, and feeling the best they can. I know I'm late, but I am going to put the tree up today. Finally. Got my Christmas cards out in the nick of time. And am going to try to get in a workout this afternoon as my back pain is easing off. I really need to. I need to keep my strength up. I feel better than I did yesterday!

My apologies, I didn't intend for this to become another boring column you're stuck reading in some doctor's waiting room 20 years ago.

Hugs to all,

Steph

Comments

• Stephie75
    Options

Just want to mention the FAGE yogurt in that example was 0%. I meant to use 2%, but failed miserably.

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options

Well, Steph thanks for all the info on protein and how you get creative with it.

So you made a mistake on one number I wouldn't call that "failing miserably" and that phrase sounds so down and depressing it's more like a minor goof-up or just a little glitch.

And so what you came back and straightened it out so you're forgiven.

Take Care-God Bless-Russ

• Stephie75
    Options

Oh, Russ. I didn't mean it to seem to gloomy. That phrase is taken lightly around here. It's more a laughable way of saying "oops" a bit hard to understand. Perhaps not the best choice of words on a discussion board like this, though. We have some odd slang here on the coast.

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options

No problem Steph I understand, just seemed you were being a little hard on yourself.

All is Good-Take care-God Bless-Russ