A question for the gents

Options
sdjeugene
sdjeugene Member Posts: 9 Member
edited December 2021 in Kidney Cancer #1

I guess a catheter will be a necessary part of the surgery. I’ve looked at info about the process, but nothing has told me how it feels (insertion, wearing/using, removal?). Painful at all, or just uncomfortable? Also, how long was your catheter in place after the surgery? I can’t be assured if the surgery will be lap. or open, and need for a catheter for each method would differ, I assume. Thanks, Gentlemen...!

Comments

• medic1971
    medic1971 Member Posts: 225 Member
    Options

Speaking as a patient, yes you will likely have a Foley catheter put in while you are asleep. It doesn't hurt to have one in place per say, but it's a tad uncomfortable. You feel like you always need to pee. It will probably stay in overnight. Don't be alarmed if you see some bleed or blood clots in your Foley bag. In fact that's why they keep it in overnight, to help those clots drain out. Taking it out, well that's a very strange feeling as well, it doesn't hurt, but the sensation is a little overwhelming.

Speaking as an nurse. I've put in hundreds, if not thousands, of catheters while working in the ER. Most people tolerate the insertion well, but like I said above, you will be asleep when they put it in, unlike most of my patients :)

Good luck!

• sdjeugene
    Options

I did think (hoped!) I’d be out when it’s inserted, but thanks for letting me know what to expect when I’m back to my conscious state. (I guess I’ll get to find out how removal feels, but it probably won’t take long for that to be over with 👍.)

• stub1969
    stub1969 Member Posts: 966 Member
    Options

They put it in while I was in the operating room and already knocked out--as medic describes. When mine was ready to be taken out, my nurse asked me to sit on the side of the bed and she said she'd count down by 5. Well, at 3 she pulled it out--I'm glad she caught me by surprise!

Don't worry about it too much, Eugene. It's a necessary part of the process.

Good luck!

Stub

• jeffman
    jeffman Member Posts: 46 Member
    Options

After my partial nephrectomy in Jan. 2020 the catheter came out the day after surgery. No pain but an odd sensation. I was already sleeping when it went in.

Prostate cancer (2017) was another story altogether. I lived with the catheter in for a full week. Uncomfortable at times and inconvenient but yuo gotta do what you gotta do.

• sdjeugene
    Options

Gotta, indeed! Thanks for sharing, jeffman.