46Y.O. PSA 4.08 to 3.9 to 5.08 a year later.

Options
rey007
rey007 Member Posts: 3 *

Hello again, I am a testicular cancer survivor and had been on the other board before about 5-6 years ago. Now I might be facing PC. I had my PSA checked a year ago and was found at 4.08. I also had a biopsy and nothing was found. My PSA went down to 3.9 and doctor told me we will keep an eye on it. I urinated blood 3 days ago after having ejaculated. Already had some blood in my urine 2 days before but didn't think much of it. About 40 hours after i ejaculated i went to have my PSA read by having my blood drawn ( i should have waited another day) I was anxious. My PSA results came back, and they were 5.08. Now I am freaking out. I just went to the hospital a month ago, got a CT scan of the pelvis because i have Sciatica and thought it was a blood clot the test revealed the prostate gland was "unremarkable" and there was no blood in my urine then. I also had another urinalysis in October and no blood then either. It looks like the blood in my urine has cleared up, but now the high PSA is worrying me. I have a GP appt this afternoon and I am going to ask them to check my prostate.

Comments

• rey007
    Options

ok so my urologist called and said that he wants to do an MRI of the prostate. Since I have done a biopsy before, and it came back negative he said he is not too concerned but it is something to keep an eye on. Praying it is just an anomaly as he put it.

• Rob.Ski
    Rob.Ski Member Posts: 145 Member
    Options

What is your PSA / biopsy history? The PSA trend would be concerning. Biopsy confirms you have cancer, not a guarantee you don't. It is possible needle missed spot where cancer is. I know one person who had rising PSA and first 2 biopsies were unconfirmed, third one found it. I would guess its the exception, not the rule. Its also possible you don't have cancer and something else is messing with PSA. MRI sounds like a logical next step. It can show lesion or tumor and possibly guide next biopsy if required. Only biopsy confirms PCa.

• rey007
    Options

my first PSA was at 4.08 the second was 3.9 and a year later it is at 5.08. The first biopsy was negative. Your friend did they have early stages of PC?

• Rob.Ski
    Rob.Ski Member Posts: 145 Member
    Options

Not someone I really knew (a friend of a friend) but, was put in touch with him when I first found out I had PCa and was looking for info. I only spoke with him once so, not that familiar with his case. He told me he had rising PSA with 2 biopsies and found PCa on the third. Don't recall his timeline, might have been over a couple of years. He did say he had surgery. I would guess his case is not really the norm just pointing out a biopsy confirms you have cancer not really that you don't. Don't want that to sound too negative just, if your PSA is rising, need to keep after it to find out why. Sounds like you are doing that.

Also, I've been told by some doctors that PSA should wait 6 months after biopsy. Biopsy is a bit traumatic and can take the prostate that long to get back to norm.