soda

Options
steph57
steph57 Member Posts: 19 Member

I have have my ostomy reversal over a week ago. Does anyone drink soda and goes it give you gas as the doctor said no soda for week and i am craving the bubbles and do not like flavored water. but dont want the gas. please let me know your experiences Thanks

Comments

• NewHere
    NewHere Member Posts: 1,427 Member
    edited December 2021 #2
    Options

Was it solely to prevent gas or did your doctor have other reasons for saying no soda for a week? You may want to double check to get clarification. It could be something related to gas, such as avoiding something that can interfere with healing. (I do not know the answer, but would check). After all of this (surgery, reversal, cancer) avoiding bubbles for 7 days is pretty easy 😉

• beaumontdave
    beaumontdave Member Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options

I trained myself to mostly water, coffee, and ice tea a long time back, a choice I'm still very happy with. The sugars were an extra for a guy who loves his food, and beer, and I felt controlling them was the first, easiest move I could make. I still like a glazed twist with a breakfast burrito, once in a while, mostly because the two shops are side by side with my bank, as well. The contrasting flavors of hot salsa and layered sugar are great, but I digress, lol. I was never told not to drink soda, to respond directly, but now that I don't, it's almost painful when I accidentally do, it's yucky to have that overly sweet film and stickiness in my mouth. Just my way of saying you can get used to the mandatory/necessary changes when you have too, though a week's wait for a favorite habit by now should be easy time, mostly......................................Dave

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Options

I also gave up soda a long time ago. I think it was after someone on TV showed how much sugar is in a bottle, several bottles, a years worth of bottles.

I accidentally had a sip of soda the other week, and spat it right out. So sweet! The body gets used to not having the sugar and for you, would eventually get used to not having the fizz. It really is worth giving up.

Chocolate on the other hand......

Tru

• SnapDragon2
    SnapDragon2 Member Posts: 717 Member
    Options

soda is very acidic and sugary. Cancer loves both.

• SandiaBuddy
    SandiaBuddy Member Posts: 1,381 Member
    edited December 2021 #6
    Options

No judgment from me. You should have the opportunity to live your life the way you want to.

I was never instructed to give up soda, just to "resume your normal diet." However, I initially voluntarily quit my two major "vices," coffee and alcohol, on the hope that quitting would help my chances of survival. But after some research, it seemed to me that coffee was a positive, and post-cancer, alcohol (beer for me, I tried red wine, but I really do not like it) was a neutral (a negative pre-cancer). I have resumed both.

Quitting for a week is not the end of the world. But if it is okay in a week, why is it not okay today? Sometimes you have to make your own choices and go your own way.