Just diagnosed in Toronto

Options
janh_in_ontario
janh_in_ontario Member Posts: 151 Member

I had a colonoscopy Friday and the Dr says there is a “large” ulcerated mass nearly blocking the stigmoid colon.

Supposedly going to request an urgent CT scan but it took 3 months for a colonoscopy after a positive FIT test so I have very little faith in that really happening quickly.

i had uterine cancer in 2010 - I have no idea if they can be related but oddly enough, my mother in law had uterine cancer and then colon cancer which she died from.

i am more afraid that I will have to drink that stuff again! How stupid is that?? But it was awful!!!

i don’t know what to ask so I will be relying on the CSN to once again help get me educated. The uterine cancer taught me I had to be my own advocate and push for answers and even then I came away empty quite often.

Not a fan of the cdn healthcare and I used to live in the US so I know the difference between the two!

Any advice for me?

Comments

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Options

Make sure they schedule you for that CT Scan. A blocked colon can lead to a rupture, and that would not be good, as the Cancer will reek havoc throughout your body.

I had a blockage also, and waiting just ONE week for surgery, seemed like an eternity.

So, my advice, push for that CT Scan and soon. Do you have an Oncologist? If not, get yourself booked in. My Oncologist was my advocate. When insurance dithered, he pushed, and got things through quickly. A good medical team can do wonders.

I am sorry that you are dealing with Cancer again. Recurrence is a horrible blow, but a secondary Cancer, well that has to be worse.

Tru

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Options

Please see if you can get a CT as soon as possible. A large mass is nothing to let go for another couple months. You said you were in the states before, if you still have access to the states it would be better to get it here. Hoping that you get some tests soon and you can start addressing this issue. Wishing you the best.

Kim

• janh_in_ontario
    Options

Update: CT scheduled for tomorrow. One prayer answered!

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Options

That is so good to hear. Wishing you the best, and will wait to hear your next report.

Tru

• beaumontdave
    beaumontdave Member Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options

Glad they're hurrying up on it, and welcome to this place. My large, ulcerated mass in my sigmoid section hadn't blocked the pipe, so to speak, but it was large, [and old looking, which was a disturbing observation] and I wanted action on it too. It still took 3-4 weeks for surgery, the CT/Pet was days later. My pop had prostate cancer before the colon cancer [his was stage 2, no further hassles] so I'm always curious whether that ''other shoe'' drops. Having had a prior cancer should have you better prepared than a newbie, so I'll just leave it that I'm here, and clear 14 years after a similar find. Hang in there............................................Dave

• janh_in_ontario
    Options

So I go for another biopsy Tuesday - oncologist wants a deeper sample. Surgeon and Oncologist exploring chemo before surgery or surgery first. Apparently chemo may cause issues with partially obstructed bowel so maybe ileostomy first, then chemo, then surgery to remove tumor and hopefully get rid of bag.

Does anyone have a similar dilemma?

Dr says tumor is in bad place and possibly embedded /attached to hernia. Plus I am a large woman and that adds to complexity.

but - the good news is no mets to liver or lungs so that’s my miracle for today.

going to be a rough start to 2022.

• kalee0221
    kalee0221 Member Posts: 9 Member
    Options

Please, let us know how your biopsy goes today. I hope things go well. Sending lots of prayers and positivity your way. You will get through this!

• suzycruise76
    suzycruise76 Member Posts: 163 Member
    Options

janh_in_ontario, I was wondering where in Ontario you live. I am in Toronto,had a colon cancer in 2019,and got the best care possible in UHN (Toronto General,Toronto Western and Princess Margaret). If you wish,I could give you the names of my wonderful surgeon and oncologist.

I am NED (No Evidence of Disease) since the end of 2019.

I wish you fast and easy procedure and the best results,

Suzy

• janh_in_ontario
    Options

Hi Suzy - I am in Vaughan but being seen in Humber 401/Keele. The hospital is fantastic and the Drs have been great.

i had 2nd biopsy this week and now await Oncologist appt. Surgery is not a viable option right now - chemo first to try and shrink the tumor and avoid an obstruction.

trying not to freak out but it helps to hear good stories like yours. Did u have chemo? What were the side effects like? I am not a fan of chemo but sounds like not much choice!

jan

• suzycruise76
    suzycruise76 Member Posts: 163 Member
    Options

Hi Jan, sorry to answering a bit late, but it had been pretty busy at Christmas...well, you know, right?

I am glad you have a great place and doctors, that is SO important! Meeting with my future surgeon for first time was the best experience with doctors in my life. I so wish there were more doctors like him, so caring,inderstanding and willing to explain everything what is happening and possibly will happen...He put me at ease, and it's lasting the whole time I am in his care (now just 6 months controls).

My case was probably a bit different than yours-the oncology team had decided to do chemo + radiation first and surgery after that. I had 5 weeks of chemo (Xeloda pills taken at home ) and concurrently radiation weekdays in the hospital. Looking back at that time,I think that chemo side effects had not been too bad....I lost any appetite right away,but never had vomited. It was a bit difficult to find something to eat what was at least a bit appetizing ;-) I had another side effect with skin on my fingers-getting cracks, raw and peeling, which I think is just effect of Xeloda, and you maybe get a different one.

My doctors and myself were pleased that my tumor shrank in a half before the surgery. Surgery had been uneventful, I had no lymph nodes or mets; I was informed ahead of time that I was going to have an ileostomy temporarily, which was reversed after 3 -4 months.

If this was to be the end, I would be extremely happy, but unfortunately a year and a half ago appeared a side effect of radiation-severe osteoporosis of my pelvis which started fracturing and giving me VERY hard time. Currently I have multiple insufficiency pelvis fractures old and new, being looked after by osteoporosis and orthopedic doctor, but in the last year and a half I cannot walk without help of a walker, and am most of the time in pains. I am very grateful for getting rid of my cancer, but I am paying another price for it now.

I don't want to scare you- you are not having radiation according your post, and even if you need to have it - this my problem apparently happens very seldom (well, I am the unfortunate exception).

If you need something else to ask, I will answer everything if I know it.

I wish you really good luck and the best care possible,

Suzy

• janh_in_ontario
    Options

Thanks! I heard radiation causes issues with bones - I will certainly keep that in mind! appt on Tuesday w surgeon again and waiting for Oncologist appt. I guess my path will be more clear next week. The waiting is horrible

• janh_in_ontario
    Options

2nd biopsy confirmed cancer. Stage 3. Onc appt Jan 14 - chemo first, then maybe surgery. No idea what type of chemo or any other info - hating the waiting!

• SandiaBuddy
    SandiaBuddy Member Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options

Sorry about the bad news. It might be a good time to educate yourself in advance about the varieties of chemo (and radiation), so that you are able to get the most out of your visit with the oncologist--and tailor a treatment that works best for you.