Biopsy results

ozymandible
ozymandible Member Posts: 324 Member

Finally got biopsy result for my neck and lungs. They are positive for cancer. They are going to put me on immunotherapy but this cancer is very aggressive and any measures taken will be palliative.

I assume just knock it back enough so it doesn't quadruple in size one day which will be very painful considering the location.

I guess that's why I'm drowning in phlegm everyday now.

One day at a time I will be thankful for each new one.

Comments

• mel_
    mel_ Member Posts: 4 Member
    edited December 2021 #2

Hey, Ozy.

As someone who was diagnosed and treated for H&N SCC in 2017, I'm a longtime follower of this board. I've never posted publicly because that's not really my thing (so, yes, you might call me a lurker; I prefer 'silent but attentive fellow H&Ner'), but I'm moved to do this now after seeing this post as well as your most recent update about your Tx plan.

I've been following your story since you first shared it —yep, from your first 'Noob' post to the latest, I'm familiar with The Seeing Eye Kid and The Boy. I've been more than a little impressed by how much you were able to accomplish when going through your initial treatment all while also taking care of your husband and then mourning after losing him. I've enjoyed reading about the various menus and meals you concocted pre-, during and post-treatment (thank you for introducing me to the concept of banana split cake!). And, I wonder: Did you decide, in the end, to go for the Vitamix or not? I opted to go for the poor-relation-but-ever-reliable Magic Bullet, myself. Last but far from least, your slightly wacky (in the best way possible) sense of humor (direct Ozy quote: "I was laying in bed singing 'You Never Even Called Me By My Name' by David Allen Coe. Kind of cheered me up.") and, from what I can tell, absolute grace as you've dealt with everything that's come your way continue to inspire me in my own H&N travails and day-to-day.

I want to let you know how very, very sorry I am to hear of this new Dx. I imagine you're hearing in DMs from the many others here who've also been following your situation and who —unlike me— are so very good about providing supportive comments (i.e. @wbcgaruss/Russ, @motorcycleguy/Curt, @SuzJ, @LitlCJdoll/Crystal, @ProustLover, etc.). Please know that I'm pulling for you with everything I've got, too.

I hope that the treatment plan you and your team have lined up is giving you some relief, at least for pain management purposes. I understand that the past months have been particularly rough in that regard.

Meantime, be kind to yourself and to the extent that you're up to it, seize the @#*@ out of the day while it's here.

Sending good vibes and much strength your way. 🧡

ML

• Dagney1924
    Dagney1924 Member Posts: 30 Member

I'm so sorry to see this. My prayers are for you.

• Chillg8r
    Chillg8r Member Posts: 85 Member

For what its worth as a result of my cancer metastasizing into my lungs I too began an immunotherapy treatment plan as part of a clinical trial in Charleston SC. Its an IV bag of Keytruda every 3 weeks and the first 4 visits they gave me 2 shots of a derivative from the HPV vaccine. I’ve now had 2 scans, one every 9 weeks, and there is noticeably less volume of cancer. While this is not a cure it is keeping the cancer at bay and my doctors seem to think that will be the case for at least a couple of years, maybe longer 🤞. Little to no side effects so as I recovered from the radiation/chemo treatments I’m feeling better and better everyday!

Perhaps this therapy will work as well for you as it seems to be for me? I wish you the best!!!

• lorijeannj
    lorijeannj Member Posts: 56 Member

My husband was diagnosed in August of 2017 with Head and Neck Cancer (base of tongue and some nearby lymph nodes). Had the rads and chemo. In February of 2018 scan showed cancer had spread to lungs.

Tried chemo Gemzar, not good, he was a mess. Tried Opdivo, broke out in rash and just wasn't working. Tried Keytruda, July 2018. He has been on Keytruda ever since, every 3 weeks. Just finished infusion #62.

Some tumors shrank, new ones, some grew. He doesn't get scans often (once a year). He feels ok, is active but Keytruda does come with its own demons. He has had rashes, dry skin and rheumotoid arthritis in the knees. Had surgery for the knees and regularly gets them drained. He is on meds for this as well.

Important to know everyone reacts to drugs differently.

He has never had a NED (no evidence of diease) since he started this journey. He is a warrior as I tell him everyday. We are going to Florida in March and have travelled in previous years.

Good luck to you.

• Stephie75
    Stephie75 Member Posts: 185 Member

Ozy,

I wish you could get into some new groundbreaking clinical trial. I joined a little too late and need to read your story to catch up. I'll go do that now. I hope that wherever you are right now, you are managing without pain, and you have a good support team.

-Steph