Chemo for 77 Year old with osteoporosis?

Options
Framarian
Framarian Member Posts: 7 Member

Hello!

Diagnosed with Stage 3 Colon Cancer. Successfully completed robotic resection surgery. Chemotherapy has been recommended; however, I have osteoporosis. Due to severe osteoporosis in my spine and osteoporosis elsewhere, I am concerned about the impact of osteoporosis on my bones. Has anyone been in a similar situation? How much bone loss occurs during and after chemotherapy? I am 77 years old and weighing the consequences of chemotherapy and bone loss at my age.

I would appreciate any feedback I can get. Thank you!

Comments

• NewHere
    NewHere Member Posts: 1,427 Member
    Options

Welcome to the board, sorry you are here.

You may want to get a second opinion on whether you need chemotherapy, though often for later Stage III it is pretty much a given. Various factors, including number of lymph nodes that were cancerous, may affect the decision. Many people have different thoughts on this (as patients) and whether to go forward. You may want to just be monitored then get chemo if needed. (I have gone with chemo from the get-go, on my 57th round with my fourth type. I would not be here today without it, and overall I am okay).

All that being said, your doctors can answer the question on how it affects osteoporosis. A quick look at articles seem indicate chemo used for other cancers (and not CRC) may affect it more (https://www.mdanderson.org/cancerwise/5-questions-about-bone-health-and-cancer.h00-159379578.html) Note there is a caveat about steroids and how they can effect things.

If you are able to exercise and take supplements (which you may be doing already, since you have it and may be addressing it) could limit whatever effect there is.

There is always a question of quality of life vs chemo vs life expectancy. Overall the cost/benefit for me still makes the chemo decision the right one. People will differ. When I started my second chemo, and shortly after a radiation treatment, I became violently ill three days in a 10 day period. They are not quite sure what caused it, but they dialed down the drugs. But I was so sick, I told my wife that if that was how it was going to be, I was done. That was 3 years and 40 plus rounds of chemo ago ;)

Take the time you need to be comfortable with the decision. If you start chemo now or in a month or two it in all likelihood not change things much, so do not be afraid to take a step back to figure it out.

• Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Options

Welcome to the forum - the new look forum.

I do not know about chemo and osteoporosis, but I do know that radiation is not good for the bones, so that is something to think about if radiation is on the books.

Your question is a good one, and someone on the forum may have had experience and be able to share more; but as NewHere suggested, be sure to bring it up with your Oncologist and if you are not satisfied with the answer, a second opinion is a good option.

Beware of serving the internet, though. It doesn't always provide the best 'advice'.

Also, you would be surprised at how many Oncologists view vary. Again, a second opinion, even if you are happy with the first, isn't a bad thing.

Good luck as you move on forward. We look forward to seeing you here, again.

Tru

• SandiaBuddy
    SandiaBuddy Member Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options

My first CT showed "advanced degenerative disease of the spine," something I never considered, I just thought I had a "bad back." Chemo caused pretty bad joint and back pain for me. So it is definitely something to consider. Chemo also caused permanent heart damage for me. If I faced the decision again, I would decline chemo. You might want to get very specific about what percentage gain in survival the doctors think chemo will give you and to think very carefully about the tradeoff between increased survival chances and quality of life. These are very tough decisions.

• Framarian
    Options

Thank you so much! Very helpful!

• Framarian
    Options

Thank you so much! I appreciate your suggestions and your willingness to share your experiences with chemo. I have a month to make a decision. I am trying to learn as much as I can in hopes of making the right decision.

• Framarian
    Options

Thank you for responding to my post! I am considering getting a second opinion. I have a month to decide what I am going to do. When I asked the oncologist what he would recommend if I were his mother, he said he would recommend one drug instead of two which he initially recommended. I think there are fewer side effects with one. There seems to be some concern abt administering chemo after 70.

• SnapDragon2
    SnapDragon2 Member Posts: 717 Member
    Options

A low toxic approach would be xeloda if you take chemo at all. It has been the workhorse for almost a century, the others only give a very small extra percentage when combined compared to xeloda (5FU).

• Framarian
    Options

Thank you!!! Xeloda has been recommended. This helps so much as I move forward in making a decision. I see no reason to add anything else if the benefit is minimal at best and increases the severity of side effects.

• SnapDragon2
    edited December 2021 #10
    Options

Vitamin D3 plus K2 and vitamin C would also help with the osteoporosis. It is a natural occurrance obviously but can slow it down. [Content removed by CSN Support Team.]

Stay away from folic acid while on xeloda, it will be toxic to you (folic acid). Eat natural folates found in food. Liverworst is good for many nutrients and folate for example and veggies too.

Keep us updated !

• Framarian
    Options

Thank you! Thank you! So helpful! I will keep you informed. Oxaliplatin was the second drug recommended when I first talked to the oncologist. However, I was only sent printed information on Xeloda.

• SnapDragon2
    Options

Here is a paper you might find interesting also.

Melatonin: Another avenue for treating osteoporosis? - PubMed (nih.gov)

• Framarian
    Options
  • Trubrit
    Trubrit Member Posts: 5,796 Member
    Options

Oxaliplatin is a platinum based chemo, VERY VERY expensive and lots of gnarly side effects.

Lots of decisions coming up. I wish you all the best, as you move forward.

Tru

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Options

Welcome to our group. There are a lot of great people here that can help you get through a lot of your questions. Like others have said, getting a second opinion is a good thing. A lot of the doctors don't tell you all the side effects that the treatments can give you, so if you have osteoporosis, if you current doctor hasn't answered your questions, it's better to get a second opinion. Keep coming back for further questions, and I'm hoping that someone can help you.

Kim