long term side effects/Anyone know if my teeth problems could be related to the chemo treatment?

Options
Psmall
Psmall Member Posts: 1 *
edited June 2022 in Anal Cancer #1

Hello, new member here. I went through treatment 6 years ago. Had 5-fluorouracil (5-FU) and mitomycin as well as 35 radiation treatments. I'm now experiencing the long term side effects of each. I've had IBS for 4 years and now have a bad ulcer in my sigmoid colon. Also experiencing tooth decay/loss/periodontal problems for the past two years. Anyone know if my teeth problems could be related to the chemo treatment? I had awful mouth sores during treatment, couldn't talk for almost 2 weeks, had to have my teeth sanded by my dentist to help with the pain. Almost got so bad they were going to put me on a feeding tube. But wondering if my current tooth decay could be related to this chemo combo. any help is greatly appreciated!!

Comments

• Real Tar Heel
    Real Tar Heel Member Posts: 307 Member
    Options

Hi,

Don't usually post to this board but just happened to see this. I had a teeth cleaning recently and in conversation with the dentist she told me that chemo does affect the rate of tooth decay because it can destroy your enamel. She said they see it with many medications, not just chemo. She told me that in cleaning she guessed I had been on some medication for a long time. I've had about 2 yrs of chemo now, so she guessed right.

We are all different with regards to our bodies so chemo may not affect some people and their bite and may really affect other people.

• Beeger
    Beeger Member Posts: 21 Member
    Options

Hello,

I was just diagnosed with a gum infection needing a root canal and am 6 months post treatment. Now All my teeth feel sensitive. I had horrific mucocytits with chemo and could not eat for weeks. I have a product called oracare I now rinse with and use clinpro toothpaste. I hope this helps!

• zetapup
    zetapup Member Posts: 10 Member
    Options

yes to clinpro throughout treatment and for months after. my oncologist said that my protocol (follow my posts via my user name) was unrelated to tooth decay. not sure why, but i needed a lit of dental care after my treatment. clinpro is part of my recovery: its an rx toothpaste designed to help prevent tooth decay.

• celineefidi
    celineefidi Member Posts: 5 Member
    Options

Chemotherapy can affect the body's ability to fight off infections, which may contribute to dental issues. Additionally, radiation therapy in the head and neck area can impact the salivary glands, leading to dry mouth and an increased risk of tooth decay.

• Rebar
    Rebar Member Posts: 25 Member
    Options

Wondering the same, as I just finished 6 rounds of chemo over 5 months.

Developed a gap/hole above my bridge, goes right into the gums.

Causing a bit of pain intermittently.

I need to consult with my Onco Dr., she had said no dental work while under treatment, especially extractions.

My teeth weren't great before, but this has seemed to accelerate any decay I had. Actually had 2 teeth break off at the gums. I received a huge estimate for the restoration, of course it will have to wait.

• Beeger
    Beeger Member Posts: 21 Member
    Options

Well unfortunately yes., chemo can destroy obviously the good and bad cell growth especially those that are rapidly produced like hair and nails, teeth too.I also have a double whammy as I had pelvic floor radiation with prevents new marrow from being produced since 80% made in pelvic bones, and in turn decreases saliva which helps prevent decay., and also causes bone demineralization. I have weakened hips and less stamina but I still exercise almost daily including riding my mountain bike and get 3 month teeth cleaning .A lot to contend with I know. But I’m in acceptance of my new normal though some days better than other

I did have dental work 2 years post treatment and it really took a long to heal unfortunately

blessings to you

r

• celineefidi
    celineefidi Member Posts: 5 Member
    Options

To get a more accurate assessment of your situation, it's essential to consult with a healthcare professional and a dentist. They can provide you with a thorough evaluation and guidance on managing your dental health. You might also want to explore resources through https://meetmydentist.com/united-states/georgia to find a qualified dentist who can address your specific needs.

• mbnm59
    mbnm59 Member Posts: 3 Member
    Options

Mouth and dental problems are definitely on the list of long-term and/or late onset side effects of chemoradiation treatment. "Everyone's different", but everything said above rings true: I think we all need to be vigilant about any and all changes across all physical systems and keep in touch with our after care teams whoever they are. So much to look for -ward to! I just finished my 6 week chemoradiation protocol on Jan 12, 24. I feel much better, but am surprised at how fatigued and achey I feel after what used to be an easy effort. I am chalking the fatigue up to anemia and muscle changes, and hope that that is not a permanent feature, but what I've read about damage to the pelvic bone structures,and marrow are sobering, as is the news that muscle changes are not unusual. I will keep up with walking and yoga for reconditioning, and hope to be back on my bike in another few weeks. In my dreams, I am running again, but that may take a while Ditto hiking and swimming until I've got the bowel retrained.

New reality: I am in a different body than I am accustomed to, and have to learn its new limitations and vulnerabilities. I also need to learn to ask more pointed questions of my doctors!

• lewair
    lewair Member Posts: 1 Member
    Options

I also experience some damage. Cavities, bite issues. I remember grinding my teeth often in the time I was having treatments.

• Rebar
    Rebar Member Posts: 25 Member
    Options

I think the chemo damaged my gums. Now if I could just have the doctors confirm it was related, my health insurance may pay for some of the work. Maybe.