Is there really nothing left against a antibiotic resistant infection ?

Options
worriedson714
worriedson714 Member Posts: 333 Member
edited December 2021 in Colorectal Cancer #1

Hello so news on my dad has gotten worse after being in the hospital twice . He had two infections in his kidney one yeast .Even now on antibiotics the fever and confusion are back . Doctors are telling us my dad should be in hospice only a few weeks to live . Telling us there is nothing more then can do cause antibiotic resistance the hospital is helpless. They believe cause when my dad is confused he fights to leave hospital that his wishes are hospice even though he says no . So my question is are antibiotic resistant infections really a death sentence ? Anyone know anyone cured of one ? It's so hard to just let my dad go.

Comments

• NewHere
    NewHere Member Posts: 1,427 Member
    Options

Have they gone through all the testing of the infection? Tell you what the infection is? Depending what is causing the infection, there can be a different approach.

There is also some discussion that HBOT may (not 100%) help with antibiotic resistant infections.

Though there are tough infections and antibiotic resistant infections, unless you get clear answers to what is going on, keep asking. Until I was told exactly what is causing the infection, what tests have been done to determine what antibiotics could work and other things, I would not be accepting broad statements.

They very may well have more information that they have not relayed to you, or possibly some more information you did not post above, so keep that in mind. I am not saying the doctors are wrong. I am just saying you need to make sure what they are saying is right and acceptable to you in understanding it.

Also on the hospice issue and your Dad's AMS - make sure he is clear when he expresses his wishes. Patients will fight and do things that are off. Doctors, nurses, staff are trained to see this and address it. Friends and family will see it quicker than any third party and you should explain it to them.

If you think he is not thinking clearly at the times he is saying he wants hospice or wants to leave (particularly if you think he is "off" when he says that) get a patient care advocate or someone to help. Chemo, pain killers and infections can cause confusion and bouts of not thinking clearly. My chemo (particularly one of the drugs) makes me off. I tend to be a lot more cranky and short tempered for the week I am on one of the drugs and not the others.

• worriedson714
    worriedson714 Member Posts: 333 Member
    Options

They have said it's a UTI and yeast infection in the kidney. Dad is back in hospital for 3rd time no clear answers to why this infection is so resistant . Also no clear answers to why they think dad only has weeks to live. All we know is the cancer is causing a blockage which is causing the infection but the kidney drain was suppose to stop this it's not.

• NewHere
    NewHere Member Posts: 1,427 Member
    Options

I hope you can get an answer. I am not an infectious disease expert or a doctor, so coming from just general knowledge and from things I heard through the years.

Here is a brief overview of infections - the main parts below. I am guessing the doctors have done this, but figured I would put it out there in case it helps at all in terms of questions you may want to ask (?) I ask things all the time until I get an answer for my cancer. I am not going to be able to understand the things when they get really technical, but even a broader answer can be helpful for me to determine things.

Again, hope things turn around for your dad and you.

##########

DIAGNOSIS AND TESTS

How are infectious diseases diagnosed?

Doctors diagnose infectious diseases using a variety of laboratory tests. Samples of blood, urine, stool, mucus or other body fluids are examined and provide information used in the diagnostic process.

In some cases, doctors identify infectious organisms by examining them under a microscope. Occasionally, laboratories must grow, or culture, the infectious organism from a sample to confirm its presence.

MANAGEMENT AND TREATMENT

How are infectious diseases treated?

Treatment depends on which microorganism causes the infection.

If bacteria cause a disease, treatment with antibiotics usually kills the bacteria and ends the infection.

Viral infections are usually treated with supportive therapies, like rest and increased fluid intake. Sometimes people benefit from antiviral medications like oseltamivir phosphate (Tamiflu®).

Doctors treat fungal and parasitic infections with antifungal medications, like fluconazole (Diflucan®), and antiparasitic drugs, such as mebendazole (Emverm®).

In all cases, doctors treat specific symptoms of infectious diseases according to the latest medical guidelines. Talk with your doctor about your symptoms to explore possible treatment options

• kalee0221
    kalee0221 Member Posts: 9 Member
    Options

My friend had MRSA a few times while fighting stage 4 colon cancer. I think it depends mostly on the health of the person. My friend was able to fight the infections off, but the after math of them always seemed to leave him a little less there.

• SnapDragon2
    SnapDragon2 Member Posts: 717 Member
    edited December 2021 #6
    Options

Wild oreganol oil can kill MRSA.

My dad caught MRSA in the hospital years ago for a surgery. He almost lost his arm. Antibiotics were useless and gave him terrible diarrhea. A neighbor told us about wild oreganol oil and it worked. He put the drops under his tongue. I believe it took about 2 weeks to see improvement.

***Never mind with my post, don't know why I thought your post said he had MRSA.