New Info for those with Lynch

TeddyandBears_Mom
TeddyandBears_Mom Member Posts: 1,811 Member
edited November 2021 in Uterine/Endometrial Cancer #1

Two New Breast Cancer Genes Emerge from Study of Lynch Syndrome | Columbia University Irving Medical Center

Just another reason to get mammograms every year!

I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday.

Love and Hugs,

Cindi

Comments

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,351 Member
    Thank you, Cindi.  I believe

Thank you, Cindi.  I believe they now test regularly for Lynch, which they didn't do automatically back in 2012!  

• BluebirdOne
    BluebirdOne Member Posts: 654 Member
    edited November 2021 #3
    Thanks, Cindi!

I was routinely tested in 2018 for Lynch at the time of my staging surgery. Thankfully, I was negative. I was treated at Mayo, but I don't know if that is the standard at all centers or small practices.

Denise

• cmb
    cmb Member Posts: 1,001 Member
    edited November 2021 #4
    Lynch monitoring

I don't know if Lynch testing was routine when I had my surgery in 2016 or it was done because my parents had cancer. But as I learned that I have Lynch, I am proactive with regular mammograms and colonoscopies/endoscopies.

Since both my parents and their siblings are long dead, I don't know who passed the Lynch mutation along. My father was the only one in his immediate family to have cancer and it occurred very late in life. But I have 3rd (or 4th?) cousins on his side who are riddled with cancer. In fact, the male cousin died from breast cancer while in his 50s. Whether this was due to Lynch or another genetic mutation I don't know. I periodically remind my brother, who also has Lynch, not to overlook the possibility of breast cancer.