Options
  • Stephie75
    Stephie75 Member Posts: 185 Member
    Options

Haha! Well, that should make you feel a lot better then. 🤔

• Stephie75
    Options

Well, my voice is gone for awhile. My birthday is Friday, so everyone but me should eat cake and ice cream!

I was going to go try to eat out with me friends at this steak house Friday night, but I am not sure how much I can eat of it what, and I'm not sure how much I'll be able to speak at all.

Well maybe it will be better if I could use my friend as a translator for me. I'm sure she'd do a lot better than I would!

Everyone have a fun weekend. Well, as much as you can make of it. At least I got this far, and this is a lot better than where I was before.

Many of you help me more than you know.

Stephanie

• swimbody
    swimbody Member Posts: 68 Member
    edited January 2022 #85
    Options

My taste buds have been gone since week 2 if I can remember. Took that long to shut my incredible palate down. I couldn't even think about sniffing a steak let alone eat it Everything tastes like cardboard, sometimes with butter, salt, honey etc. It's the epitome of cruelty to have such a beloved sense organ (tongue) keep me from keeping weight on. I gained 18 lbs drinking beer, eating pizzas, carbs, rice with everything and I went from 203 to 221. I'm down to 216 and should be below 210 after the weekend. After cancer I will no longer drink alcohol or eat highly processed food from any major food company. The nutrition in the United States is one of the most abysmal things on the planet and it's killing people all the time. I'll be predominantly vegetarian with occasional wild dense protein if no other options avail.

I have a total of 33 radiation visits 6 left as of today but have 2 tomorrow to bring me to 4. I confirmed with MDA that the PET scan is in 2 months. They said they have the most advanced CT/PET scanners in the world. They said the 2 month mark was deadly accurate. Dunno. We'll see if it's true. I have a friend ahead of me by 3 weeks with the exact same issue. He's going to be the PET scan guinea pig.

• ProustLover
    ProustLover Member Posts: 120 Member
    Options

Hi, Steph - It is so great that you are hanging in there and carrying on...whatever you do on your birthday, I hope it will be super fun. If you go out in public, especially to a restaurant, watch out for covid. The last thing you need is some kind of respiratory affliction with a bad cough...I'm guessing that a facial mask feels worse than ever right now. Sending good thoughts your way for this and many more birthdays to come.

• Stephie75
    edited January 2022 #87
    Options

Thank so much, it was nice to hear from you, Proust. I hope your husband is doing the best he can to staying positive. It can be hard but he will actually feel better with that mindset.

I’m going to add that today was my 35th and final treatment!

I have an appointment the 3rd of March and not sure all it will entail! That’s with my RO, so I will find out a lot more at that visit. It was sort of unfortunate my doctor was out of my the office my last week…

thanks to all of you that have been there for me. It means more to you than you’ll ever know. Gestures of kindness and people that have the capability to help others, please do the most you can it very rewarding just 5 minutes of you time coud help so much!

Take it easy, and I’ll be watching out over all of you while I heal up these few weeks.

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options

Well, Steph a huge congrats to you and we celebrate with you that the treatment is over. Checking the pics you sure had an extensive mask as it looks like it went over your shoulders some. Your picture, well you look beat and your neck is really burnt from the rads I bet it is really sore. Now you can heal. Those masks serve a good purpose but I just never liked the looks of em. So rest and recover-Wishing You The Best-=Take Care-God Bless-Russ

• Stephie75
    Options

Yeah, it’s crazy. Right under my chin is was not burnt, and I held my head a certain way on purpose. It make me look like i have a double white chin, but the rest is red. I’ll take another one in a week. I am mostly taking these, to see how well my got worse, and now is how fast it is healing.. no beauty show here at all. I wanted a video in with the machine, but didn’t have the guts to ask :)

• Stephie75
    Options

My cough is getting bad again. Coughed up blood this morning. Took 2 pain meds for the Codeine and some Delsym Cough syrup.

Didn't have a bad dream last night, but I have been having dreams of dying. They have no relation to cancer or my cancer symptoms.

Other than that, I'm hanging in here! My saliva isn't in ropes, nor is my mouth/throat too dry either. I just worry about aspirating so much just drinking. I don't want anything to sneak into my lungs.

In all honesty, I though this week would be worse than it is. Swimbody is a few days ahead of me and I am starting to feel worse, so I'm hoping I don't catch with him symptom wise. I didn't have to have chemo like he did, so I am keeping a positive attitude and praying for him, as well as all you others that need it right now!

I also need to feel well enough to take the cat to the vet Thursday. I need to be there for that.

Happy Tuesday! 2/1/2022

-Steph

P.S.

If you read this, try as best as you can to think positive! It will make the world of difference with your health. I can tell when I start feeling bad and getting lazy, I feel worse. It's like the domino effect. I then get depressed, etc. Please don't allow yourself to get stuck in that cycle.

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options

Steph it sounds like you are having the normal reactions from a regimen of radiation. Coughs and some blood, the body's reaction to being assaulted with radiation, and a necessary part of the healing process. You are very lucky not to have thick saliva and maybe you won't get it. Also, I think your dreams may be your mind just reacting to the trauma that is cancer treatment. This is brutal stuff, the whole process from diagnosis to treatment to recovery mentally and physically. I think when you drink or swallow if there is a chance of aspiration your body adds the protection of coughing. If you eat and drink and don't cough I think you are OK. If you cough try putting your head in a different position such as leaning down or to the right or left. For now, till you finish recovery it may help. Once recovered no more worries. I have had more extensive treatments but my swallow test shows my best swallow is putting my head down and to the left. Just make sure you get enough nourishment in because in recovery that and rest and sleep are important.

Wishing you the best-Take care-God Bless-Russ

• swimbody
    Options

Have y'all ever tried the famous "milk and molasses enema"? It's a hoot. Try to see how long you can hold it in there. I have three more today. Yay me

• Stephie75
    edited February 2022 #93
    Options

Swim,

Did you REALLY try that, or are you pulling our legs? Remember that comedy, I think Chevy Chase was in it and they all stopped and got some designer enemas or something... I have never heard of what you're talking about, but I have heard of the infamous coffee enemas!

• swimbody
    Options

No it's the real deal. MD Anderson introduced it to me. It was a religious experience.

• Stephie75
    Options

Swim,

Wow, that's really interesting!

You really need to check-in and let us know how you are.

I'm doing great physically. My neck is completely healed up. It's just a little stiff. You probably know what I mean regarding that. My sore throat is strange, but it is almost gone. The cough it more of my issue and my voice is also in and out.

Most of my issues are mental and worrying if the cancer didn't really leave, or it's going to come back. I need to work on that! It comes and goes. It drives me nuts. Physically, I feel as though I did very well, and the treatment didn't seem nearly as brutal as I expected in the end. However, I didn't have to go through surgery or chemo!

-Steph

• swimbody
    Options

Same boat as you. Right after 33 radiation treatments at 2 and 1/2 weeks and 3 and 1/2 weeks after my last chemo treatment. I am proud to say that I am eating soft solid foods at this moment even with a feeding tube going down my throat. I do have a little bit of soreness on the interior left side but I am getting over that right now with a line of methyl prednisone. If you knew how painful 33 rounds plus 6 rounds of chemo plus all of the inflammation in your throat is then you would understand. This is been an ungodly adventure. I have learned a ton about myself and my inner strength. I was never somebody who would ever pray but I did pray during every single one of my radiation treatments and every single one of my chemo treatments. I reached out to God and to my higher self as well. There is no doubt that I am in the condition I am today because I asked all of my surrounding spirits and the creation force known as God to protect me from the dangerous aspects of radiation and chemo and to only hit the cancer. I honestly don't know how I am able to eat chicken vegetable soup plus chicken and dumplings at 2 and 1/2 weeks after my last treatment.