3 1/2 year checkup...

ERomanO
ERomanO Member Posts: 317 Member
edited November 2021 in Head and Neck Cancer #1

And all is good.  I am, as has been said here before, "unremarkable".  I met with 2 nurse practitionsers, one of which was new to me, and the one that did the scope.  Both are very good.  When I go back in May I will see the other familiar nurse practitioner and my ENT.  Next year I'll have 2 visits and then will see them once a year until I reach the 10 year mark, and that'll do it for me.

There were really no isues of concern.  Tight neck muscles are my main "annoyance" and the one NP reminded me to massage all my neck muscles to keep them supple.

I mentioned to the first NP how I have been taking a B complex vitamin since my neuropathy began and how I stopped it for a few months and also got a different vitamin at one point, and in both cases my neuropathy spiked... to where it was really driving me crazy and becoming a little depressing.  But as soon as I started the [original] Super B Complex I noticed that my neuropathy settled down to a manageable level again.  When I asked if my observation was legit the NP shook her head yes and told me that B vtamins help rebuild nerve cells (I knew that from an article I saw somewhere, but didn't know how legit the claim was).  So for anyone dealing with neuropathy, try adding a daily B complex to your daily regimen.

We also discussed my thyroid medication (levothyroxine) and how I feel like it has affected me in negative ways.  I admitted that these negative effects may be part of my imagination, but to just stop taking it for a couple months when I will have my yearly physical with my PCP.  She said it's been borderline anyway, so it's not critical that I take it.  If my thyroid function does get to a level where intervention is necessary they will write a letter to my insurance provider and prescribe a natural hormone replacement (is that what it's called?).

Other than that, I'll just keep on doing what I'm doing.

To all my fellow survivors and warriors, keep on fighting the good fight and may your lives be filled with blessings!

Comments

• ozymandible
    ozymandible Member Posts: 324 Member
    edited November 2021 #2
    Great news!  Happy for you!

Great news!  Happy for you!

Sounds like you and your team are right on top of everything too.

: )

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,275 Member
    Mr Romano It Is Good

To hear such a good report of a member like yourself of our survivor family.
    You've reached a milestone every time you go through a checkup and they give you the all-clear and let me say NED.
    CONGRATULATIONS AND GOD BLESS.
    It is definite that you came through some rough treatment and have won your battle.
    And thankfully have few side effects to deal with.
    Thanks for the tip on neuropathy and B complex vitamins I too have neuropathy and will certainly consider it.
    And hopefully, your experience with it will help others.
    And you have managed to get off of a medication and since you are borderline on your thyroid level I agree it can be addressed anytime necessary.
    Anytime I can drop a med I am happy to do it.
    It sounds like you have a good medical team that you trust and get along with well and they are working to provide the best outcome and a good future for you and that is a great blessing also.
    And they have your care plan well thought out.
    Thanks for the update and again congratulations and wishing many more noneventful checkups.
    Wishing you the best-Take care-God Bless-Russ

• ricksmithgolfer
    ricksmithgolfer Member Posts: 87 Member
    edited November 2021 #4
    Congrats Ed

Nice to hear all is well. As you may recall I am only a few months behind you in our treatment schedules. I too have minimal side effects from my treatment radiation and chemo. Like you, I have some neck muscle issues. I get neck spasms on the back side of my neck maybe a couple times a month. Kind of freaks me out when it happens. It is kind of like getting a leg cramp where the muscles starts tightening up. I do neck excercises daily to try and combat the situation. The only other side effect is I get a little chirping sound in one of my ears from time to time. I have been very blessed with the minimal side effects thus far. Take care and God Bless. Rick

• BeagleDad
    BeagleDad Member Posts: 108 Member
    edited November 2021 #5
    Wonderful news

Thank you for the good news!  My oncologist has be taking B12 shots each month .... I reckon now I know why!  (I was wondering)

He also told me that the neck stretches will last forever.  Apparently some of the muscles became scarred during treatment and will never regain health.  I do mine in the shower with the hot water on them.  

It is good to read this for those of us new to recovery.  I am 9 months post-tx and doing great as well.  Really grateful to the mecial team that designed and implemented my treatment.  I hated them for about 4 weeks, tho!  LOL

Don Beagledad

• big G
    big G Member Posts: 176 Member
    edited November 2021 #6
    3 & 1/2 yrs

Good people, good checkups, milestones, give hope and strength to many on this site. Thank you for sharing E. Congrats and continued well being.

• motorcycleguy
    motorcycleguy Member Posts: 478 Member
    edited November 2021 #7
    Roman,

Good follow-up tests - ALWAYS a great reason to celebrate!

Have a nice Thanksgiving, everyone!!

MG

• Logan51
    Logan51 Member Posts: 464 Member
    edited November 2021 #8
    Ditto

what MG said.