New diagnosis

bwex
bwex Member Posts: 3
edited November 2021 in Kidney Cancer #1

Helllo, I am new to the board.

I had an initial diagnoses of a 3.3cm renal mass in right kidney and urologist recommended surgery to remove as he was 95% sure it was cancerous. I went for pre op today and a new CT scan showed the mass shrunk in about 4 months to 2.5cm. 

is this a common occ and could it kept shrinking?

i am on the fence now between surgey in a couple weeks as planned or active monitoring. 

any feedback would be appreciated and thanks in advance  

Comments

• icemantoo
    icemantoo Member Posts: 3,361 Member
    edited November 2021 #2
    The measurements are 3 dimensional and not always perfect

While still small I would get it out,These things d not just go away although in about 10% of the cases what looks like Cancer isn't. Mine was 19 years ago. 2.6 cm on initial CT and 4.2 when they got it out. Small tumors give the Surgeon more options. I may be getting over my Paygrade so look at a second opinion.

icemantoo

• bwex
    edited November 2021 #3
    Thanks 

Thanks 

• stub1969
    stub1969 Member Posts: 966 Member
    edited November 2021 #4
    Ditto..what Iceman said

I had the same experience with my tumor.  There was a difference between my initial CT and my pre-op CT.  Each of those was different from the pathology measurements.  You're are fortunate to catch this early.  More than likely, surgery will be the cure for you.

Stub

• Tobi
    Tobi Member Posts: 61 Member
    edited November 2021 #5
    I had my CT show a 4.1 cm

I had my CT show a 4.1 cm mass and my MRI show a 4.3 cm mass and when they removed it the mass was 3.5 cm. Surgery was scary but not nearly as bad as what my mind made it out to be. Mine was in fact renal cell carcinoma so when it was all said and done I am glad it was removed.

• donna_lee
    donna_lee Member Posts: 1,042 Member
    edited November 2021 #6
    CT's are not always the same

Each machine, each Radiologist who reads a computer screen and each measurement can come up with different answers.  I know, because, I've been in that situation. Eight mm. is not that much on a ruler, but in a cancer situation, it is.  Get it out and let the biopsy determine size, type and stage.  Sometimes the way you are lying on the table, or if you have food in your intestine pushing on the kidney, it can effect the reading of size.

And I had my appendix taken out by the OB-GYN when he did the hysterectomy in 1987; and my most recent CT, read by a certified Radiologist, indicated I had an appendix.  Go Figure.

donna_lee

• Bay Area Guy
    Bay Area Guy Member Posts: 618 Member
    Echoing what others have said

Echoing what others have said.  i'd add to Donna's list that even the position you have on the CT machine can change the measurements of anything found.  At Between 2.5 and 3.3, i'm not sure you're in a spot where active surveillance is all that great an idea.  A talk with your urologic oncologist to discuss your concerns would be a good idea.  You need to go into surgery (assuming you choose to do that) with a proper mindset that it's the right thing to do.

• bwex
    edited November 2021 #8
    Thanks for all the comments.

Thanks for all the comments. They are appreciated. I am leaning toward the surgery.

• Mmoses25
    Mmoses25 Member Posts: 321 Member
    edited November 2021 #9
    Good luck

When they found mine it was 4.5 then after surgery it was 4.1 it's best to get it out of there the good thing is you caught it very early if you choose surgery. Good luck you. Will do fine