An update

Options
Mattie65
Mattie65 Member Posts: 82 Member
edited November 2021 in Head and Neck Cancer #1

Hey folks. Some of you may remember: I had my neck dissection 14 months ago, after a T4 tumor was discovered inside my left tonsil.

After that, 6 weeks of radiation. It all went pretty smoothly, although I had enormous trouble with keeping myself fed, during rads, because my taste buds went berserk.

It's about a year now, since I had radiation therapy and here's the update:

Saliva: Is at about 80 percent of what it used to be. I had one gland removed. The rest seems to work normally, again.

Teeth: Are fine. I doubled and tripled down on tooth care. Brush twice a day, use high fluoride toothpaste twice a week, floss, get professional cleaning at least twice a year.

Taste: Not 100%, I still can't taste certain things, and some things taste somewhat weird, but it's altogether acceptable and liveable. Some things taste normal. Some don't taste as good as they used to, but it's okay.

Health: Is fine.

Beard: Still a hair missing, here and there, but most of it came back.

Lymphedema: Is almost gone.

Mouth opening: Is fine. Still have to train every day.

Energy: I still get tired, sometime. Specially now, during the cold days. Nothing to worry.

In brief: I'm really fine, don't feel that I miss much of how it was before the operation and rads. Of course, it's not as it used to be, but who would expect that? At first sight, nobody would ever guess that I'm a head & neck cancer survivor. Scars on my neck, from lymph removal, have mostly disappeared as well.

I wish you all the best! Mathias

Comments

• ProustLover
    ProustLover Member Posts: 121 Member
    edited November 2021 #2
    Options
    Hard to believe it's been so long...

It's great to see your smiling face again, and to hear your positive news.  

Best wishes for continued well-being and health.  

• motorcycleguy
    motorcycleguy Member Posts: 478 Member
    edited November 2021 #3
    Options
    Mat,

Hey dude - thanks for the update. I'm glad you're doing relatively well!

I feel lucky also - a little Neuropathy and my taste is still a bit off - but overall, life is good!

MG

• ozymandible
    ozymandible Member Posts: 324 Member
    edited November 2021 #4
    Options
    I love when people give us

I love when people give us updates.  I'm glad for them if they're feeling better and the updates give me hope that someday I'll get there too.

Thank you.

• Logan51
    Logan51 Member Posts: 465 Member
    edited November 2021 #5
    Options
    Sounds good

Thanks for the update, Mathias, and glad to hear about your 1-year status and mindset being Positive.

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,294 Member
    edited November 2021 #6
    Options
    Thanks For The Update

And congrats for getting through the treatment and now being NED.
    You are doing well healthwise too and it shows others that there is a life ahead after H&N cancer.
    You are not like precancer but you really got a lot back and I am so glad for you for everything.
    Wishing You The Best Mathias-Take Care-God Bless-Russ

• ricksmithgolfer
    ricksmithgolfer Member Posts: 87 Member
    edited November 2021 #7
    Options
    Great report

You seem to be progressing at about the same rate I did with my tonsil cancer. At about the 18 month period after finishing my treatment I had pretty much all my taste and saliva back. Keep the faith. Sweets were the last to come back for me. I did not have any surgery. I just hit my 3 year mark and overall am doing great. Only issues are a tiny cricket sound in my ear off and on and I have started to get some cramping in the back of my neck a couple times per month. I do daily neck excercises for my neck, which helps. Thyroid went out about 1 year after tretment ended. I also feel like I get a little more tired at the end of the day, but that could just be that I am now 68. Also walking 4-6 miles a day so I'm sure this adds to the tired feeling. I consider myself very lucky to have these minimal side effects. Thanks for the report. It is nice to hear from folks that you followed during their cancer battles. Take care abd God Bless.

Rick

• BeagleDad
    BeagleDad Member Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Thank yo for the update

It was nice to hear from you again .... thanks for the information!

Don

• big G
    big G Member Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Update

Sounds like your doing well Mattie, continued success wishes.