Preparing for surgery-seeking support and advice

lkitty
lkitty Member Posts: 36 Member

I am scheduled for a laproscopic hysterectomy on 11/30. Can anyone share how they prepared themselves emotionally for this surgery? Also, how was the recovery?

Thank you,

Comments

• Forherself
    Forherself Member Posts: 959 Member
    Hi lkitty

Waiting is SO hard.  Have you read the previous posts about getting prepared for the hysterectomy?  I signed a consent for my surgeon to do both types of surgery.  I ended up having the endoscope and my uterus was removed through an incision above my pelvic bone.  So I had both.  I did use the analgesic because I wanted to be up and moving.  I think it is the most important part of recovery, moving, and following your doctors instructions.  We will be here for you.  Whoever picks you up should bring a pillow so you can use it to gently support your abdomen on the way home sitting in the car.  Really, the recovery was simple for me.  I am hoping yours is simple too.  It is doable we like to say.

• Harmanygroves
    Harmanygroves Member Posts: 486 Member
    Oh, I'm so glad we have a date for you now...

First, as Forherself says, it is doable! To prepare emotionally, make sure you have some help getting to and from the hospital. Have someone to just get you from the hospital home into your cozy bed. I worked hard the days before surgery to clean really well, get lots of easy food in the house, soups, jello, and things I liked to sip. To prepare emotionally, I would suggest to have the softest, comfiest clothes, pajamas, and slippers you can find! And big hug goes out to you. For a while, you will be taking care of your body. You will need something for pain, although the laparoscopic surgery is relatively less painful, for sure. Have some stool softeners on hand, and use them. You don't want to "push" when you're tender. 

Big hugs going out to you!

• cmb
    cmb Member Posts: 1,001 Member
    edited November 2021 #4
    Surgery prep

I'm not sure if you saw this link in the FAQ:

Tips for surgery and after? 

That discussion had a lot of good advice.

I hadn't known what to expect since I had never had surgery or stayed overnight in a hospital. But my laparoscopic surgery was very delayed until early evening because the operating rooms were occupied by Level 1 emergencies. I didn't get settled in a room until nearly midnight. So my doctor had me stay all the next day in the hospital as I still needed a catheter for a few hours until my bladder was working okay. I was released the following day.

As for Forherself said, waiting for the surgery is always hard. I was working to finish the first phase of a project before mine so I didn't have a lot of time to think about it. I second what Harmanygroves said about getting prepared. I wasn't allowed to drive for a couple of weeks or lift objects over 10 pounds for 4 weeks. So it helps to stock up on necessities beforehand.

• lkitty
    Thank you

Thanks so much for taking the time to provide great advice and share your experience. I really appreciate it.Smile

• lkitty
    edited November 2021 #6
    Thanks again

Your support and advice really means a lot.  I have been having some anxiety about the surgery so I am interested in how others have recovered from the surgery.  Have a nice evening.

• lkitty
    edited November 2021 #7
    Thank you

Thank you so much for the support and advice. I have been having anxiety about the surgery and I am already worrying about the pathology results. I am praying every day that I am going to be okay. Have a nice evening.

• Forherself
    edited November 2021 #8
    How are you doing lkitty ?

I was just thinking of you and wondering how you are doing.   And have you got that anxiety tamed?   

• lkitty
    edited November 2021 #9
    Doing okay

I have been doing okay with managing my anxiety. I have a good support system and I continue to pray. I had my pre-op apppointment on Friday and a MRI on Saturday. My bloodwork results were good and I do my best to focus on the posiitive.  Thanks so much for checking in. I really appreciate it.

• Forherself
    edited November 2021 #10
    Its hard right now

I'm glad you have some support.  It is hard waiting.  Sounds like you are all organized.  I had a bit of a hard time with friends and family asking questions i couldn't answer.  I found too, for some reason, going to new places helped take my mind off the waiting.  Hugs to you

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,351 Member
    edited November 2021 #11
    Waiting is the hardest part. 

Waiting is the hardest part.  Try to enjoy the holiday.  Hugs dear

• lkitty
    edited November 2021 #12
    Thank you!

Thanks for your support . I sincerely appreciate it.

• lkitty
    edited November 2021 #13
    Thank you!

Thanks for your support . I sincerely appreciate it.

• lkitty
    edited November 2021 #14
    Thank you!

I sincerely appreciate your support.  Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!