No brag, just fact

Options
tbret
tbret Member Posts: 71 Member

It's hard to know if things I might share will be taken as I intend them.

I am reporting this ONLY to give anyone who needs it additional reason for hope.  I certainly had little to do with being blessed enough to have SCC at a time in history when it is treatable.

Last week I had my five year scan and have been declared "cured" and was told to go home.  <SCC, HPV16+, right tonsil to base of tongue, one node, Stage IVb at the time>

Of course, these days "cured" seems to be relative and my oncologist still wants an annual low-dose chest CT (40 pack years of smoking), so I only got pseudo-dismissed.  I'm presumptively cured...maybe.

My ENT will dismiss me when I see him in a couple of weeks.

It does take a while, but it does happen for many of us.

Comments

• Logan51
    Logan51 Member Posts: 464 Member
    edited November 2021 #2
    Options
    A big...

Congratulations. The 5-year is a milestone, as will be your 10th and 15th ?

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,275 Member
    edited November 2021 #3
    Options
    Absolutely

So glad for you.
    I can attest nothing like a clean scan and hitting a milestone like the 5-year mark.
    NED the sweetest word I know.
    Wishing You The Best-Take Care-God Bless-Russ

• big G
    big G Member Posts: 176 Member
    edited November 2021 #4
    Options
    NED!

Congrats on reaching the 5 year mark tbret. Thanks for sharing. 

• Remington25
    Remington25 Member Posts: 93 Member
    edited November 2021 #5
    Options
    Congrats!  Hope to join you

Congrats!  Hope to join you in a few years!

• ricksmithgolfer
    ricksmithgolfer Member Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    5 years!!

Congrats on the 5 year mark. Personally, I think it is important for folks like yourself to let their fellow cancer warriors know when they reach milestones like this. It gives people hope. I just passed my 3 year mark since finishing treatment and that feels pretty good. God Bless.

Rick

• AnotherSurvivor
    AnotherSurvivor Member Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Lapped five years this month,

Lapped five years this month, but got NEDed in August.  I'd like to say it's done, but when you see someone like Phrannie go down you know the new normal comes with a perpetual caveat.   So I'm NED for now.  I'm not fixated on it, lots to do, places to go, etc.  But it never goes completely away.  Maybe in another five?