2 Dry Mouth & Nose Hacks - Short Video by Beagledad

Options
BeagleDad
BeagleDad Member Posts: 108 Member

This video is one of the "useful" ones I have promised.  These two hacks made my recovery a tad easier and I hope they will for you, too.  If you have used either of these or have others please leave Comments on the video's page as well as here for others to see.  THANK YOU!

Don AKA Beagledad

https://youtu.be/3Cn_4-XL0eI

Comments

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,275 Member
    edited November 2021 #2
    Options
    Nice Video

Covering a couple of basic problems with basic inexpensive common-sense solutions.
    Wishing You The Best-Take Care-God Bless-Russ
    By the way, did you see my ridiculously long comment in your chemo what to expect video?

• BeagleDad
    edited November 2021 #3
    Options
    Russ..I did not

I saw that you said you had a very long response after you did a "test run" but did not see the long one.  If you still have it saved somewhere please feel free to re-post.  Thank you for your comments and advice!!

Don

• wbcgaruss
    wbcgaruss Member Posts: 2,275 Member
    edited November 2021 #4
    Options
    Don Here Is My Ridicously Long Comment I Referenced

Under your Chemo: What to expect video--

Don as far as the port I had no negative aspects. I would recommend anyone going through chemo or other procedures where they will be using your veins a lot to get a port. A true vein saver and really no pain to access and up out of the way on your chest/shoulder area leaving your hands/arms free to do other things like checking the net, reading books, etc.As far as the Gtube (Feeding Tube) I would also recommend if your care/cancer team recommends one be proactive and get it ahead of time before treatment starts. I know people don’t like to get these in but you will soon adapt to them being there for the time you will have it. When I first went home with it bugged me but I soon got used to it being there. Cut the elastic band off a pair of your underwear and put it around your belly and it makes a perfect band/holder and keeps the tube secure and not flopping around.Some people want to wait till they see if they need it and then get it put in. But by the time you need it you will be well into your treatment regimen and have plenty of appointments, be feeling like crap from the treatments, have a sore swollen throat, can’t eat, and now you have another appointment going into the hospital to get a feeding tube put in. I can’t imagine going through that. And the way they have to access it is to intubate you for breathing through your sore throat and go down your throat with an endoscope to your stomach to put the feeding tube in.Also as far as maintenance when not used flush it with water once a day. When in use flush with water after feeding, meds, etc. As far as cleaning wash with a little soap and water as necessary. There are gauze pieces that can be put around them on the outside but I found they draw liquid out it seems and just let it be and wiped any seepage up if it happened. And the small amount of seepage usually dried up and could be taken off by hand. Long but I hope this helps someone. Below is a link showing how they put a feeding tube in (PEG Tube--Percutaneous Endoscopic Gastrostomy)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atQGkK0zW2s

Take Care-God Bless-Russ

• BeagleDad
    Options
    I remember this

I did see this...after reading it I remember it.  Thank you for such great recommendations.  On the other hand... my tube was far more difficult than a waistband woujld have handled.  I used surgical tape to tape it down then up so it laid against my belly and chest.  I flushed it a lot because I kept getting backflow into it.  I used gauze at first to help stem the seepage but that eventually was causing an absess so doc gave me some square bandages..a whole box of 100.  Pat and I changed that probably 2-3 times per day.  It seemed that no matter how small amount of "food" I "ate", the seepage was there.  Docs knew about it and said it was normal ..I just had to find ways to keep it clean and such.  This was another brick in the wall toward my not wanting to eat - eating meant seepage which meant changing bandage again and again and again.  It was not that it was that "difficult" just one more thing I had to deal with when I did not want to deal with what I had to deal with already, ya know?   I would stand in the warm shower (my favorite times of day) and let the tube drop and watch whatever I ate last drip down to the drain.  As we say, different experiences for everyone..which is why this site (and my videos: shameless plug) are so darned useful.  Others need to understand what they *MIGHT* be dealiing with and prepare accordingly.  Prepare for the worst and hoipe for the best.  I still have THREE baskets of medical supplies, pills, and ointments in our bathroom closet..and that is after giving away a boatload of stuff to HOPE Cancer Resources!!!  :)

As always..thank you for all you do.  No matter where we are in our treatment/recovery, we are all in it together.  

Don