Thank you everyone

FourBee
FourBee Member Posts: 52 Member
edited November 2021 in Uterine/Endometrial Cancer #1

Years ago I joined this board with a diagnosis of IVB adenocarcinoma grade 1. This board and especially one that has closed that was called Eyes On the Prize, were a lifeline for me. I know that a great number of people have migrated to Facebook but this site is still extremely valuable.

Keep sharing and supporting each other. If you need a cancer journey mentor there is Immerman's Angels. They can pair you up with someone who has walked ahead of you with a similar dx.

Today, as I near the 11 year mark post-surgery and remember how no doctor initially was useful, I also recall the ones that extended my life. During an interview with one oncologist I remember asking myself "would I crawl into a foxhole with him and expect to survive a weapons assault?". My internal answer was "no". That's when I knew he wasn't the man to oversee my treatment option(s). I had a similar reaction to an oncologist who thought he knew better than everyone.

I learned that seeking out additional opnions and interviewing more doctors was my salvation. There are great people doing very good healing work that listen. Align yourself with them and stay on top of the science.

Thank you for being here.

Comments

• ConnieSW
    ConnieSW Member Posts: 1,676 Member
    edited November 2021 #2
    You have done soooo much

good and given so much hope by stopping in today.  I see you were given a 17 % chance of surviving 5 years and here you are 11 years later. I am so happy for you.  

• Ashleyjan7
    Ashleyjan7 Member Posts: 27 Member
    edited November 2021 #3
    Thank you for sharing your

Thank you for sharing your story! It's amazing so see long term survivors out there and I'm so glad to hear you're doing well!

• FourBee
    edited November 2021 #4
    ConnieSW

Looks like you have been on here a while, as well. Do you lurk or reply to posts? I just came back on the last couple of years after being away. Am well. Just want to show support.

• Harmanygroves
    Harmanygroves Member Posts: 486 Member
    edited November 2021 #5
    I love your photo!

That smile and look of strength says it all. I'm glad to see you here. I've often wondered who all the people are who read posts. Now, I think I'll imagine that they are all longterm survivors of this adenocarcinoma! (Stage 1 C, Grade 1 here).

thanks for your presence. It is very heartening and encouraging.

• Harmanygroves
    Four Bee

I clicked on your name and read your advice. I had to learn all that stuff through experience! I had a surgeon who was pretty much useless after my surgery, and not only that, was horrible when I asked questions (got angry and defensive), and prior that, conducted a very inappropriate exam on me (no gloves!), although after it became apparent that he didn't intend to put gloves on and had started, I stopped him and told him to glove up. "Ob gyns didn't use to have to do that!" he said. Well. Lovely.

Anyway, I couldn't agree more about getting yourself to a large teaching hospital. That is EXACTLY what I did. I'm now being cared for at OHSU here in Oregon. Much better. 

• FourBee
    edited November 2021 #7
    Harmanygroves

You are a very compelling writer and may want to think about penning an article on your cancer experience. Publications may be interested.

Best wishes.

• Fridays Child
    Fridays Child Member Posts: 277 Member
    edited November 2021 #8
    Thank you!

Four Bee, thanks for coming in with your encouragement.  I'm approaching 10 years since my original diagnosis, and  four years since my recurrence was found.  Still not NED, but remain hopeful of achieving that status again.

• Tamlen
    Tamlen Member Posts: 343 Member
    edited November 2021 #9
    Thanks for checking in

I'm grateful to hear your story and longevity. I was diagnosed 7 years after you with the same -- Stage IVB adenocarcinoma, grade 1. I'm coming up on 4 years post-diagnosis and 3+ years NED. It's really uplifting to see you at 11 years!

Tamlen

• FourBee
    edited November 2021 #10
    Tamlen

I read your story online and you seem to be on the correct track to stay healthy. You had aggressive treatment and I hope that your joint pain will subside or kept in check with your exercise regime.

• FourBee
    edited November 2021 #11
    Fridays Child

I read your story and rather than search through posts am wondering what symptoms you had to make you aware that there may have been recurrence? I wish you goof health.

• Fridays Child
    Fridays Child Member Posts: 277 Member
    Signs of recurrence

FourBee, I had hip pain prior to my original surgery, which persisted.  They did a scan two years after surgery but it didn't show anything. It continued, I continued to report it, and the assumption was that it was arthritis since it was intermittent.  Eventually I went to my orthopedic doctor, who did an MRI and found the recurrence.  It was a pelvic tumor that invaded the hip joint.  PET scan showed additonal mets in both lungs.

• FourBee
    edited November 2021 #13
    Fridays Child

Where are you getting treatment? At a teaching hospital? Have you had second opinions on this recurrence? Thanks for sharing what was happening.

• SF73
    SF73 Member Posts: 317 Member
    edited November 2021 #14
    FourBee, you made my day.

FourBee, you made my day. Thank you so much for stopping by! Wishing you a long, healthy, and happy life!

• Harmanygroves
    edited November 2021 #15
    Book in the Works

I'm an author, and have one book out: Love and Loss in Cambodia: a memoir. Currently, I'm working on a book about my experience with cancer. It's a bit "close" at this point; typically, with memoir writing, you need a bit of time to reflect back, but I honestly can't rely on time. I may have it. I may not! Therefore, I'm writing now. 

I so appreciate your compliment. Thank you deeply. 

• Dak82
    Dak82 Member Posts: 109 Member
    edited November 2021 #16
    That would be great!

You do write so well. I write too much like I speak and think--a bit rapid fire and direct. I have been keeping a journal since early in this journey although it's been sporadic the last few months--I think because I've been feeling pretty decent. I will be on a continuous journey and there will be struggles ahead--and that's why I find other's trials so compelling. They give me the emotional strength not just to carry on and survive but to live while surviving.

Love to all and so happy you are here Four Bee!

Deb 1

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,351 Member
    FourBee!  SO good to hear

FourBee!  SO good to hear from you.  I love the words of encouragement and wisdom!  I do not FB (or whatever it is being called today) and suggest others who are interested to turn here. 

Hugs

• Harmanygroves
    Oh, D 1, TY!

I was on a pretty good writing trajectory before 2020 vacuumed the wind from my sails, but I'm getting my chops back and writing a bit more. Coming in to read and write here has been so helpful. I strongly belive that we MUST share our stories. When I was initially diagnosed, I felt so alone. I did find the book "Cancer Schmancer" online, and it was a comfort, but Fran Drescher is much richer, younger, etc. than I am, and I found myself getting angry at her insistence that cancer wasn't her fault! She wasn't post menopausal! She wasn't obese or even overweight. Well, good for you, Fran. How about those of us plunking down good money to get your book, you little twit, ha ha!

Initially, I lost my ability to research, dig, figure things out. I was that miserable and brain dead. The FB resources weren't satisfactory. I found a lot of the women there simply turning to prayer, posting peach stuff (yawn), and emojis. Not enough for me; I needed a more engaged community. I found it here. 

• jan9wils
    jan9wils Member Posts: 202 Member
    edited November 2021 #19
    FourBee I'm so glad you

FourBee I'm so glad you posted here.  I am encouraged by your 11 year survivorship! 

Jan

• cmb
    cmb Member Posts: 1,001 Member
    Thanks for checking in

FourBee,

Thanks for letting us know how well you're doing after so many years. That's so encouraging for others to read.

And thanks for sharing the info about Immerman's Angels. While other support services are discussed here occasionally, your post prompted me to add a new topic to the FAQ.

• FourBee
    edited November 2021 #21
    jan9wils

Hi Jan,

I read your story and the procedures that you have endured in your quest for restored health. I am sending you good wishes across the miles.

FourBee