Pain 8 weeks post op

Options
Debbi S
Debbi S Member Posts: 4

Hello everyone...I am a newbie to this board. I am about 8 weeks post op from

a total right kidney removal. A large mass  (think tennis ball)

was discovered on my right kidneythat turned out to be stage 3 cancer.

So far they have discovered no cancer spread (thank you lord!), but

I still have some lingering "pain" around the wounds caused by the laproscopic removal.

I also have a slight belly bulge, the pain isn't so severe  that I

have to take pain meds, its just a little concerning.

I'm wondering if this is a normal thing to be expected? Doctor says

the bulge is my organs moving into the space left by the kidney & mass removal.

It sounds right, but I just wondered if this has happened to anyone else?

Thanks so much for any info...

Comments

• icemantoo
    icemantoo Member Posts: 3,361 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the club

You sound oerfectally normal. My buldge still shows a little after 19 years. Fill in your Bio inder MY CSN SPACE. iT TOOK ME 11 MONTHS TO GET UP ON wATER SKIS AT A THEN 59. WILL BE 79 NEXT SUMMER.

icemantoo

• eug91
    eug91 Member Posts: 471 Member
    edited October 2021 #3
    Options
    welcome Debbi-

First off, congrats on getting through your procedure! Well done! As for your questions-

What you're describing is totally normal. It's only been eight weeks - your body is still healing and getting used to the new normal and will give you pain signals to remind you not to over-do it yet. If memory serves, I had little bits when I tried to resume my exercise schedule and it didn't go away until about 12 weeks. But everyone's healing process is unique, so if it persists, don't be afraid to reach out to your doctor. But yes, it's normal. 

As for the bulge, that's also totally normal. After seeing how lopsided I looked, I read way too many articles about the flank bulge - and I thought it would never go away, but it eventually does. 

Hope this helps! And here's to continued healing!

• Debbi S
    edited November 2021 #4
    Options
    Thanks

Thanks so much Icemantoo, wow 19 years thats awesome!

Took your advise and updated my bio.

• Tobi
    Tobi Member Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Hi Debbi

I had my total lapro removal on Aug 30th and I still have pain too. It isn't severe but just aches sometimes. I am assuming it's normal it until the dr tells me otherwise. Plus it's not a minor surgery so I expected some lingering pain. I am sure it will get better with time so I am just going to try and be patient...not that it ever works for me!

• Debbi S
    edited November 2021 #6
    Options
    Totally normal

Well, thank you very much eug91. I really appreciate the info you have provided and it

has made me feel so much better to hear from someone who has been where I am.

It helps to talk to pepole who know (really know) what I am going through.

• Debbi S
    edited November 2021 #7
    Options
    Lingering pain

Right you are Tobi, it is not a minor surgery. I thank you for taking the time

to respond and share you story. Our surgeries were done almost at the same

time. I would love to keep in touch to compare notes!

• Tobi
    Tobi Member Posts: 61 Member
    edited November 2021 #8
    Options
    That would be great

I think we have a very similar timeline. I was reading your bio and mine was found in July too. It's weird I don't worry about the cancer at all....idk what that is about but really I haven't been stressed about it since the dr removed it, I've been more worried about having 1 kidney.