Serous Carcinoma of the Endometrium

Options

I just had surgery at Mayo on 9-16-2021-Total Hysterectomy-Treatment plan was for 18 weeks of Chemo-Taxal and Carboplatin and Vaginal cuff brachytherapy x 3

Endometrial Cancer stage 1A

High Grade-Serous Carcinoma

Had my first chemo on Oct. 5th, 2021- After 4 minutes of Taxal I had an anaphylactic reaction. Couldn't breathe, severe back pain, overwhelming  feeling that I was going to die. They called an ambulance and took me to the hospital. I stayed in the ER until 7:00 PM

I am now petrified to try another drug. It took two weeks to get over the side effects. I had to use a walker because the neuropathy was so bad in my legs, I was so tired that I slept all the time.

10-30-2021-I just returned from Mayo today. Had a consult with Radiology and Medical Oncologists and also my 6 week post op check up. The radiologist suggested 3 brachytherapy treatments. The Medical Oncologist encouraged me to try another drug. Because Serous Carcinoma is rare and aggressive and has a high chance of recurrence. I am still too scared to try another drug so I am going to have the radiation treatment as soon as I can get it scheduled. Am I being unrealistic, they tell me that they got all of the cancer. The lymph nodes, ovaries, tubes or omentum had no cancer.

Please let me know if anyone else has had this type of reaction and how you dealt with it.

Thank you

Kathy

Comments

• Forherself
    Forherself Member Posts: 970 Member
    edited November 2021 #2
    Options
    Hi Kathy

So sorry to read about your experience.  I wonder if you have seen the uterine cancer page?  It has many active members who have experience with what you are dealing with.  Try posting on that board.  Have you heard about icing to prevent neuropathy?  

• cdurante
    cdurante Member Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your severe reaction to the chemo

I'm stage IIIC serous cancer.  I had a total hysterectomy and ovaries removed at MSKCC on 9/3/21. I start my Paclitaxel and carboplatin chemos on 11/3. I'm anxious but after reading your reaction I'm now terrified.  I will also be doing 3 brancytherapy treatments weekly soon.  Good luck to you and I hope you stay cancer free!  ??? Camille 

• cdurante
    edited November 2021 #4
    Options
    Serous cancer

Surgery was on 9/30/21

• cdurante
    edited November 2021 #5
    Options
    Uterine cancer

I went on that discussion board but there was nothing for serous endometrial cancer. Thank you anyway for the suggestion

• Lyn70
    Lyn70 Member Posts: 214 Member
    edited November 2021 #6
    Options
    This Site is Often Quiet

Ladies,

Try clicking on the Discussion Board for Uterine cancer. We have a very responsive group on this site. You will find lots of encouragement, support and information. I believe someone on that site will share similar experiences with you and answer your questions. We are here for you. ((Hugs)))

• cdurante
    edited November 2021 #7
    Options
    Taxol carbo

I had my first treatment on 11/3 it wasn't too bad that day just nasea and stomach pains plus constipation.  Afterwards I began with excruciating pain, headach, teet, ears, neck, shoulders and the most painful my knees.  I can't sleep from the pain. Any helpful suggestions would be appreciate.

• NoTimeForCancer
    NoTimeForCancer Member Posts: 3,371 Member
    edited November 2021 #8
    Options
    cdurante, I see it has been a

cdurante, I see it has been a few weeks since you posted.  If you ever feel something is wrong, call the doctor's office and let them know what is going on.  

I would like to suggest you stop in on the Uterine page where quite a lot of women or their families have posted on these topics and can also provide some guidance.  You can find it by clicking on "Discussion Boards" on the upper left hand corner of this page and scrolling down through all the cancers for "Uterine".  We have had helpful ideas posted at the top that have been gathered over the years.  

I am a papillary serous carcinoma survivor and only come to this page to check-in.  It is much more active on the Uterine page.

How are you doing now?