10 years NED

Options
ptom
ptom Member Posts: 41 Member

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,

I was diagnosed in early July 2011 and my cancer was located near my trachea (up by the collar bones).  I went through the standard 6 weeks of radiation along with that infamous fanny pack of chemo.  In the beginning of October of 2011 there was no evidence of disease.  My oncologist worked with me (so I wouldn't lose my hair) and I was given a weekly dose of chemo starting around the middle of November that lasted through the beginning of February.  I never had surgery (was told it would have been disfiguring due to the location).  If the cancer had returned it would have been a different story to be sure.  As of today, as I like to say, NED is still in the building.  I like NED and hope he sticks around for at least another 10 years.

I was previously diagnosed with colon cancer in 1995, at the ripe old age of 36.  My father passed away from it at 45.  It was discovered through genetic testing that I inherited Lynch Syndrome from my father.  Don't look it up, it's too depressing!

After surving esophageal cancer, I was diagnosed five years later with cancer of the bladder itself and where the ureter meets the bladder.  But why stop there?  Two years after that I was diagnosed with endometrial cancer and had a radical hysterectomy. (I hate those two words together...sounds like I'm radically hysterical.  We must thank Hippocrates for that one!)

Needless, and thankful to say, I'm still here.  I'm accepting bets on what cancer I get next.  Any takers?

My thoughts and prayers to all of you suffering with esophageal or any cancer for that matter.  Stay strong and stubborn, emphasis on the stubborn part. That's how I did it.

PTom

Comments

• Deathorglory
    Deathorglory Member Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Glad to Hear Your News

Hello PTom,

Congratulations on being 10 years NED.  Sounds like you've been through the wringer.  Hopefully, there is no, "next".  I like your advice to stay stubborn.  I believe that, plus really good medical care, is what has seen me through my own battles.  Thanks for posting, stories like yours offer hope and inspiration to those coming after you.

Best Wishes on staying NED,

Ed